<customQuerySql> tag magically added to report xml

Angela Williams shared this problem 5 years ago
Resolved

User created a basic report. She attempted to Edit it just a few mins later and was unable to edit nor copy due to the "oh no" error. Log only showed a NPE.

I exported it (see attached).

If I attempt to import that same exported file, YF shows a warning that "This item has a custom query filter that uses the null Data Source, which is missing from this import."

I noticed

<customQuerySql></customQuerySql>

at the end of the <reportFilter> section for ID 1226284.

If I remove just those open/close tags and attempt to import, the warning no longer exists.

How could that tag just appear in the report XML when we do not have the option to select "Custom Query" enabled? "Custom Query Filters" is disabled for all Roles.

Have you ever seen this before?

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Angela,

actually I have seen it once before, it was about half a year ago and the customer was using Yellowfin version 7.3, build 20170929.

I was able to replicate it over here because I had their Yellowfin database and thus raised a product defect against it, however, I have just checked the status of that defect and it is unresolved, most probably because there was an easy workaround for the issue (remove the empty tag) and there were more pressing bugs to fix.

regards,

David

photo

David:

Can this be looked into again? This came up during a customer training session and looked really bad that it occurred especially since we cannot explain what occurred or how to prevent it from occurring again. How were you able to recreate? What actually caused the issue to occur?

We are running currently 7.3 20180226 and exporting and importing is not an easy workaround. Our customer users do not have the ability to export/import anything. Additionally, there is no way they would know if the cause of a report not being able to be edited is due to this issue or not. All they see is it is "broken."

Thank you,

Angela

photo

Hi Angela,

yes I would definitely like to resolve the issue of you not being able to edit a report.

However, I went back to that defect and also the original Community ticket (https://community.yellowfinbi.com/agent/object/6076) and re-read them carefully and realised that there were actually 2 issues raised in the ticket, the first being the empty customquerysql tag, and the second being an "Oh no" error causing an import to fail. And in fact the defect raised was for the 2nd issue, and there was no defect raised for the 1st because the customer was happy with the workaround.

Also, they never mentioned not being able to edit the report.

Anyway, I set up a Yellowfin to connect to their database and then exported their problem report, and it didn't create an empty customquerysql tag, however the bug of not being able to import the export file was definitely still reproduceable. But most importantly, the report did not have the editing issue.

Sorry for this long-winded response, but what I'm trying to say is that I don't think the empty customquerysql tag is causing the editing issue, it only causes that warning message during importing.

The quickest way for me to replicate the editing issue you are experiencing would be if you were able to upload a backup of your Yellowfin config database to our FTP site. Thankfully I don't think we'll need the schema of your data warehouse to replicate this issue, because a report without a data source can still be opened for editing, it is only after it has been opened for editing that an error about the missing data source will appear. Thus, if we just have your YF DB, then I can right-click the report in the Browse screen and select Edit, and if it doesn't open then I have replicated the issue!

Our FTP site is http://yellowfin.brickftp.com and you don't need an account to upload files.

Here's hoping you'll be able to upload it, please let me know if this is possible or not.

regards

David

photo

Hi Angela,

just checking in with you how you are getting on with the matter of this Problem? Did you manage to upload your Yellowfin database to our FTP site, or if not, do you think that you will be able to at some point?

regards,

David

photo

Hi Angela,

I haven't had a response from you in a month now, so I will close this ticket for the time being.

However, if you ever would like to re-open it then just add a new post to it and that will automatically put it back in the Support Team work list with the status of "In Progress"

regards,

David

Leave a Comment

Attach a file