Link normal report with Freehand SQL report

Chad Miller shared this question 7 years ago
Answered

I have a regular report and a freehand SQL report on a dashboard. I'm trying to link the User Input filter and the drill down filter from the regular report to the freehand SQL report. Sales by Date is my normal report and Cost Breakdown 2 is my freehand sql report. You can see I have linking established with my other reports in pic 1. Pic 2 shows that there are no options when clicking the drop down menus when trying to link Cost breakdown 2 to the Sales by Date report. Pic 3 shows that I can link from my freehand sql(Cost Breakown) to my regular report.

Replies (1)

photo

Hi Chad,

Unfortunately you will not be able to do this, as data being passed through a dashboard requires a filter to receive it, and Freehand SQL does not allow filters to be applied after the fact.

In order to do this you will need to replicate your freehand SQL report in a normal drag and drop report. Is there a reason why you are using freehand for this report?

Regards,

Nathan

photo

I don't know our DB's that well and the query I got for a solution I didn't want to replicate. It's a Query on a Query on a Query Left joined to another Query and Left Joined to a third Query. So the way I see it is I have to create like 3 reports to use as views unless I can get this into a subquery report.

1. Select
  2. Left Join(
  3. ...Select
  4. ...InnerJoin(
  5. ......Select
  6. ))
  7. LeftJoin(
  8. ...Select
  9. )
  10. LeftJoin(
  11. ...Select
  12. )

photo

Hi Chad,

As you mention it is hard to know how this would be constructed without knowing more about the underlying db. It is possible that you would not need any advanced functionalities as these could be simple joins that happen when you pull in fields from 4 seperate but easily linked tables, but worst case you would it could also require 4 append sub-queries.

Let me know if you have any other questions on this?

Regards,

Nathan

photo

I forgot I could query the same table multiple times within the same view. This made it fairly easy to replicate. Like I said I was just being lazy and didn't want to replicate it but now I know for the future it's always better and freehand is a last resort.

photo

Glad you figured something out. I'm going to close this ticket for now, but if you run into any more problems with this, just reply and it will be re-opened.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file