Customize number of ticks on axis and label for data points

Usman Jamil shared this question 5 years ago
Answered

Hi

How can I control the number of ticks displayed at each axis and show the value as label on each data point in a line series graph.

Currently ticks are automatically spaced and there's no option to see value as label on each data point.

/A9R7BtPCffQvAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

An example of how it's needed is as below

/wZwvSsVfUfRAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Kind Regards

Usman

Replies (2)

photo

Hi Usman,

Thanks for reaching out. There is no way to change the number of ticks or how they are spaced. Your chart appears to be using Time Series, whereby the spacing and placement of the axis labels are automatically set depending on your data set. There was an existing enhancement request to allow more flexibility in Time Series, but this is not going to be implemented as unfortunately the issue here is actually related to the charting library (JFree) we use.

From the devs: "The way it works is that, when first creating your chart, it looks at your data and does it's best to draw the charting area to ensure it all fits. However it does not always check every single label (to save on performance time). There is no straight forward way to get around this with the library, there are ways for us to create our own functions, but we're talking about a large time-sink of dev time for this, and honestly for the amount of times we see this issue, the effort vs result just does not line up."

In terms of the second chart you have attached, depending on your data set, you can try setting your Horizontal Chart Axis > Style > Rotate Axis Label to 45 Up and see if that gives you additional labels:

/w+AybduPsblggAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

And finally, on the point of labeling points on a line chart. This feature is available as of 2 builds ago. Which build of 7.4 are you using? That setting can be found in the Label icon:

/zAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

/HsfwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Thanks for your response Mike

I used Yellowfin's latest AMI from AWS Marketplace which currently has 7.4 version with build 20171204 and Java version 1.7.0_151 installed.

Let me know if there is any option to update it to latest from within the admin console.

Kind Regards

Usman Jamil

photo
photo

Hi Usman,

Thanks for your response. The upgrade process is a bit more involved for AWS instances than standard one's, but shouldn't be too complicated, though it will also take some knowledge from the AWS side of things. You can reference our Wiki entry on Yellowfin for AWS.

From the screen that looks like this (might be called AWS Instance Manager):

/rODZkhgAACCCCAAAIIIIAAAggggAACjgUo9jgmowECCCCAAAIIIIAAAggggAACCCCQvgIUe9J3bsgMAQQQQAABBBBAAAEEEEAAAQQQcCxAsccxGQ0QQAABBBBAAAEEEEAAAQQQQACB9BXwjGdq0Wh0PMMTGwEEEEAAAQQQQAABBBBAAAEEEBgzgeLi4jHr267jcS32jNeg7UD4DQEEEEAAAQQQQAABBBBAAAEK0OO5AAAAJ0lEQVQEELiZBVjGdTPPHrkjgAACCCCAAAIIIIAAAggggAACQwT+BRP3wPU2godHAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

You should then have all the info required to SSH into your corresponding IP address and run the upgrade installer (there's plenty of AWS documentation on how to SSH into your Amazon ec2 instance, if you don't already know how to do this). The upgrade installer for Yellowfin that you'll need can be found here.

Please let me know if you have any further questions after giving these suggestions a shot.

Thanks,

Mike

photo

Thanks Mike

Updating the build did the trick for the labels.

Regarding the 45 up rotation for axis label, i can only see Standard and 90 Up options. Any idea what I'm missing here?

/Bx6iR2RlDDjaAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

photo

Hi Usman,

Great! Date Fields only allow rotation of axis labels to be Standard or 90 Up. I can't say with 100% certainty, but if I were to hypothesize I'd think this is because of the Time Series function (as Date fields are the only one's that just have two options), which auto-formats the ticks and label locations using the JFree library, which has some limitations re: label location, for instance, and I'd guess rotation is another of these limitations. My recommendation is if you're not going to use the Time Series functionality and want the labels rotated differently, would be to make a copy of your date field in your db, and set it to a non-date format. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Thanks Mike

I'll try the date copy as string and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help. Feel free to close this ticket.

photo

Hi Usman,

Great. I'll go ahead and mark this Answered. Please don't hesitate to reach out with further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Mike

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file