Great Britain Geo Pack Format

Lawrence Brown shared this problem 6 years ago
Resolved

Hi

We have a problem with one of our clients with the Great Britain geopack and we have split the postcodes into area, district and sector to link with the geo pack. However, the area and sector links aren't working (see image.)

03095fc03cb51741167faa92fbe8f759

Our understanding of the postcode format is in the image below

9ab9e5f2b6d2ec835c86ca1fa3b9f68c

It looks as if all the links that have a single letter for their area do not work.

Have we not split it as it should be for the link to work?

We're running 7.35 with the 20170908 patch.

Regards,

Lawrence

Replies (9)

photo

Hello Lawrence,

We are looking into this for you!

I see from you image that the it's not just the outward code that is affected by only having a single digit, the inwards code is too.

There seems to be some logic issue around postcode area or sector with a single digit.

I am setting up a replication of this to investigate further.

I will update this ticket with my progress as I go.

Best regards,

Pete

photo

Hi Pete,

Thanks for quick response.

We've been invoiced in quite a lot of postcode/logistics based projects in UK and therefore have quite a sad knowledge of them so feel free to ask any questions if you need to!

Talk soon,

Lawrence

photo

Hi Lawrence,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I have done some testing and it appears that the UK geopack is badly formatted when being linked to the Postcode.

The issue seems to be the postcodes were split by characters so postcodes with only a single digit or a single character (e.g. B1) aren't handled correctly.

I'll push this to our HQ team to see if we can get this rectified.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Best regards,

Pete

photo

Hello,

This has been raised with the Dev team to get the GeoPack fixed.

We don't currently have any ETA for fixing this at the moment,however, I will update this case as soon as I know more!

Best regards,

Pete

photo

Hi Pete,

Hope all is well, do you know whether this got resolved within the 7.4 release.

Appreciate you'll have been really busy getting 7.4 out the door so may have been on the back burner.

Regards,

Lawrence

photo

Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for getting in touch.

This unfortunately hasn't been resolved in 7.4 - the GeoPack info is separate from the main development team and hasn't been advanced further yet.

Once I have some more info about this, I'll update you!

Thanks for your patience,

Best regards,

Pete

photo

Hi Team,

Is this issue fixed in 05 release?

Regards,

Aruna

photo

Hi Aruna,

I'm looking into this, but I'm finding it extremely difficult to understand the actual issue here.

I can see in the above screenshot there are no geography value for rows where there is no area value, which to me makes sense.

If you don't have the data that the pack is matching on, then there is no geopoint.

Am I missing something here?

Are you able to elaborate on the issue you're currently facing?

I'm happy to look further, just need some understanding of the issue and what can we done to fix it.

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi David,

Happy to provide some more data but I'll double check if its still an issue as it was 8 months ago.

I'll do that ASAP and then update you.

Lawrence

photo

Thanks Lawrence, much appreciated!

photo

Hi David,

I also suffer from this problem and to elaborate on your earlier point

"I'm looking into this, but I'm finding it extremely difficult to understand the actual issue here. I can see in the above screenshot there are no geography value for rows where there is no area value, which to me makes sense.

If you don't have the data that the pack is matching on, then there is no geopoint."

In the UK geopack there is no geographical data for postcodes that have a single letter followed by numeric such as Sheffield where postcodes are for example S11 3BD these codes have no corresponding value in GEOPACKLEVELENTITYALIASCODE and will therefore not show in a GIS based chart

photo

Thanks Bernerd,

Ok I've re-tested this in the latest 7.4 release with the available GeoPack and it's working ok for me. Unless I'm missing something?

The data I used can be seen in the chart & table screen further below.

1.Here is how I linked the GeoPack (via Postcode District):

ec028ba47f1c90c7ec0a2717c651f798

2. Here is my chart & table) (notice all 4 points are showing, even if they only have a single letter):

75bc3bb552915b9e6b21aba242b951da

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi all,

Think we're all closing in on the issue....maybe....maybe not :-)

I would say that from my perspective I'm trying to understand why the postcode B97 5PJ doesn't have a <GIS Geometry> but all the others do. I've checked and it is a valid postcode so I suppose the question is, why hasn't it mapped to a GIS point?

I have some other examples of postcodes; DL2 2DU & DH7 8EA work fine but WA16 6LJ doesn't map.

Let me know if you need any further information.

Regards,

Lawrence

photo

Hi Lawrence,

Yup seems like something has possibly changed since you initially raised it.

I've added the post codes you mentioned, and they too work.

I also put in a bad Postcode District, just to make sure they didn't work.

3c619c7b81e48425c4444fa95ea9cfdf

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi Lawrence, just a quick note to say I think I might have it all wrong.

I was joining by district, and I believe the issue only occurs when joining on sector. Believe the issue does does come to our geopack not having full sector data. I'll run a few tests to confirm and how you can get around it (which is most likely going to entail joining the pack at a higher level).

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi All,

Ok so after getting my head around the UK Geo data I think it comes down to linking a unit to the sector, as our geo pack does not go that low a level.

If I have misunderstood this, or there is something further let me know and we can organise a session to help move things along.

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi David,

Agree with your point that it only goes down to postcode sector which I believe is fine as GIS can pinpoint if we need have it closer.

The 'problem/issue' is that some valid area/district/sector postcodes are not being mapped to GIS. For your example above:

The postcode area N97 is valid but it's not mapped to a GIS but all the other ones have done so correctly. Does that make sense?

Another example is this one, where a post hasn't mapped B97 5PJ.

75bc3bb552915b9e6b21aba242b951da

It may just be a case of updating the UK postcode file that YF uses as they may be new postcodes?

I appreciate we may be going around in circles on this so happy to have a call if that will speed up for everyone?

Regards

Lawrence

photo

Hi Lawrence,

One thing I should have mentioned in my screenshot was that I actually made a type with one of my rows, but I left it in there to see what would happen.

N97 5PJ is not a valid postcode. It's really B97 5PJ

See the screenshot below:

2fdde3163fed3ed8fb9ec80ba06fee7c

Do you currently have an issue as of right now? If so then yes we can set up a call and see your data and how you've mapped it.

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to check in on this, and get this moving forward.

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi Guys, to not drag this out further I'm going to go ahead and close this down due to inactivity. However if you want to pick this back up, please let me know.

Regards,

David

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file