Prevent Freehand SQL Calculated Fields at a View Level

Suresh Kumar Palivela shared this idea 6 years ago
Not Planned

Can we add a Role setting to prevent Freehand SQL Calculated Field creation in the View Builder?

The option exists for Reports but not Views.

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Suresh,

Thanks for reaching out with your Idea. I've logged this as an Enhancement Request for review. I'll keep this post updated with further information regarding this.

Thanks,

Ryan

photo

Hi Suresh,

We're in the process of reviewing this request and are interested in a bit more information on the business case for this item.

Typically those who are building Views are trusted employees with certain skills. Can you provide a little insight on why limiting this ability at a View level would be beneficial?

Thanks,

Ryan

photo

Hi Ryan,

BMC Remedy Smart Reporting connects to BMC ARSytem through JDBC driver. Smart Reporting doesn't support to create reports on Freehand SQL. Freehand SQL option is disabled at Report level while creating calculated fields. To make it consistent we should disable at view level also. Please see the attached screenshot of calculated field at report level.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks,

Suresh

photo

Hi Suresh,

Thanks for the reply. I'll update you once I have more information.

Thanks,

Ryan

photo

Hi Suresh,

After internal review here we have come to a few conclusions.

1. In creating a Freehand SQL Calculated field at a View level, no errors are thrown and the calculation seems to work.

2. View creation is typically reserved for trusted individuals, such as data analysts, etc.

3. The above factors make the requested change largely cosmetic in nature.

Due to these findings we have determined that this will not be chosen as an Enhancement in future development. I understand this may not be the news you were hoping for and am sorry for any inconvenience this may be causing.

Thanks,

Ryan

Leave a Comment

Attach a file