How to create a composite view?

Daria shared this question 5 years ago
Answered

Within the view creation window there is no option for a composite view. I would like to try to build one so that can use the drill down function in a report based on 2 different sources.

Thanl you in advance!

Replies (10)

photo

Hi Daria,

Thanks for reaching out with your question. You're correct! This is a role setting that is disabled by default. To enable Composite Views browse to 'Administration' > 'Admin Console' > 'Roles' and click the name of the role you want to allow this privilege. Under 'Data Sources and Views' you will find this option:

e6c5ae49e9f8c4088c3f721d52b88abc

If you are logged in as the role you have updated, log out and back in to apply these settings. Now you should have the option available here:

3a5734700c879801e68f81212c3df58c

Let me know if this helps!

Thanks,

Ryan

photo

Hi Ryan!

I have done everything you described (for admin role check the checkbox for Composite View, Save, Logout and login again). But the option for Composite view doesn't show, not for me, not for other users that also have the admin role.

May be i should place additional checkbox=) somewhere else?

photo

Hi Daria,

Did you ensure you logged out and back in after making this change?

Please provide a screenshot of your role settings with the 'Data Sources and Views' section expanded so I can see if we're missing anything else.

Thanks,

Ryan

photo

Hi Ryan!

Attached are the screenshot of my current settings of my role (admin) and of the screen with no option to select composite view.

I have already logged out and in with my account and another accounts of the same role. And results with no composite option are the same.

I'm currently exploring the trial version to make the final decision, May it have some limitations with composite view?

Thanks,

Daria

photo

Hi Daria,

Thanks for the detailed reply. Licensing shouldn't limit this option, but I did find what I suspect to be the final piece to enabling this.

The Data Source you choose when creating the View must be Writable to enable this functionality. I suspect this is because it stores some information on how to join the separate sources within itself.

Anyway, to enable a Data Source to be 'Writable' you can follow these instructions.

Go into 'Administration' > 'Admin Console' > 'Data Sources' and choose the name of the Data Source you'd like to make writable.

Under 'Usage Parameters' you'll find the 'Writable' toggle, which gives Yellowfin the ability to write to this Data Source. Toggle this on and click 'Save' in the top or bottom right. Keep in mind the credentials you have provided under 'Connection Settings' must have write permissions to the database you're connecting to.

Now, when creating your Composite View choose this Data Source first and you will see the Composite View option.

Let me know your results.

Thanks,

Ryan

photo

Hi Ryan!

Could you pls provide some details about writable mode for the source? The case is that the datasource I'm connected to is from production environment, the original one=) Will YellowFin really write something in it=) ???

Thanks in advance,

Daria

photo

Hi Daria,

To further expand on this, it doesn't have to be your production Data Source that you decide to make writable. The short answer is yes, if your Data Source is writable, and you're creating a Composite View, this will be stored in a new table into the writable Data Source.

That being said, you can elect the Writable Data Source to be a completely separate source. In example, one could create an empty MySQL database on the localhost of Yellowfin for this purpose. Once you've done so, you can target this writable source to create a Composite View. This drops you into the View Builder where you can join EXISTING Yellowfin Views to each other:

5f4e708cbe33643d5f265bf87ff902c6

This information will be stored in your writable data source.

So, you would want to first create the Views you want to join on each independent Data Source. Then you would target your Writable Source when creating a new View, which will allow you to choose Composite View and drop into the View Builder as shown above. Here you can join existing Views together into a Composite View.

Does this make sense?

Thanks,

Ryan

photo

Hi Ryan!

Thank you, that is the particular answer that i have been looking for!

Are there any limitations - recommendations for the database that we should create as a writable source for composite views? For example, In case the view will be be builded on the data from Postgres and data from ClickHouse , should my new datasource be also on ClickHouse? Or it can be on Postgress? Where can I find this info?

Am i right that all the data needed for the composite view will be instantly copied to my new datasource so it should be possible two handle really large amount of data because the data will get in from multiple sources?

Thanks,

Daria

photo

Hi Daria,

There are no limitations to the Database type when choosing a writable data source. The information stored is specific to Yellowfin, and thus should be platform independent.

In regards to your second question, I don't believe it actually stores the data. It just stores the structure of your View and the fields contained therein.

Does that address your concerns?

Thanks,

Ryan

photo

Hi Daria,

I'm going to go ahead and mark this as Answered, since I haven't heard back. Please don't hesitate to reach out with further questions or issues.

Thanks,

Ryan

Leave a Comment

Attach a file