Unexpected gap in trellis chart

Syed Rahman shared this problem 5 years ago
Resolved

Hi,

I am using Trellis chart for showing data and using one of the dimension to drill through the chart. My goal is to show metric (Amnt) in different color on trellis chart.

TYPE dimension differentiate amnt metric into two and parameter dimension i want chart to drill through.

The Challenge, I am facing in Image 1 is that the amnt metric is of same color (which I want it to be different colors) and issue with Image 2 is, though I was able change the metric color an unexpected gap between 1st and 2nd month is seen as circled in Image 2.

Is it some sort of bug or can we reduce that gap.

Regards,

Syed

Replies (1)

photo

Hi Syed,

Thank you for reaching out. What happens if you setup your charts as in image 2, but you remove the parameter Dimension altogether, but keep TYPE as the Color? I don't know what is contained within that parameter Dimension, but whatever is in it is what's changing the spacing. Perhaps if you can explain more about what that's doing and the data it contains that'd be helpful. Why is it not needed in image 1, but is in image 2?

Regards,

Mike

photo

Thanks for looking into it.

The dimension parameter is used as tabbed section in my requirement. I don't need parameter dimension to display anything on chart but in order to drill through and pass values in further reports, i am trying to use parameter dimension. I am achieving different colors by putting TYPE dimension in color but then the question arises how to pass parameter dimension in further reports(in order to filter next report as per parameter).

Thanks,

Syed

photo

Hi Syed,

Since the parameter dimension contains one value (and is then being subsequently drilled through), it's only going to show up as one color. TYPE shows up as two colors because there are two different values, I can't read the whole thing from your screenshots, but it look's like those values are "Actual" and "Budget", so those are the two colors. If you still need the parameter dimension in your report, have you tried putting it on the Horizontal Axis instead? How does it look then? Ultimately, I think this is going to come down to how your report/charts and data is setup here. The description for the Trellis chart is telling: "A segmented chart for which the behavior is determined by the data selected." There's no way to change spacing between values on the chart for this chart type due to this. You can do so for Column charts, but due to the nature of the selected chart type, which is based solely on data selected, this is not possible. Playing around with your data is pretty much the only way to get the Trellis chart to look the way you want. You may also want to try Auto Chart and see what it does to the spacing. The Auto Chart may look a little different than the Trellis chart and closer to what you're looking for.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

Thanks for assisting.

I tried putting parameter on the Horizontal Axis, I get two different colors for Actual and budget but the chart is stacked chart. Stacked chart is not feasible as we need comparison of data side by side.

I also tried Auto chart, but the behavior is same as trellis chart (space is still visible).

Anyways, I need to figure it out by playing with the data.

Thanks for taking out time and looking it into the issue.

photo

Hi Syed,

You're welcome! Yeah, without actually having your data on hand it's hard to say how the data is setup that's causing it to display the way it is. Regardless, content creation falls more in the realm of consulting. I hope you get it to display as you desire! I'm going to mark this as Resolved. Please don't hesitate to reach out with further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Mike

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file