Export Users

Tiaan Rheeder shared this idea 5 years ago
Not Planned

Hi

I have users requesting a "User Export" functionality. Does that functionality exist or would it be possible to add it?

Replies (6)

photo

Hi Tiaan,

There's no way to accomplish this through the UI, but it may be possible to write a query against the config DB to give you most of the data needed for export. The table to look at is the "person" table in the config DB.

You users should be contained in a CSV format with data contained within quotes. See the example below and on the screen for more detail. The example file format is as follows:

# Comments can be present. Starting with a # only. Blank lines will also be skipped.
# First Name, Last Name, Initial, Salutation Code, Language Code, Time Zone Code, Email Address, UserName, Password, Role Code
"Bob", "Jones", "A", "MR", "EN", "", "bob.jones@company.com", "bob.jones@company.com", "password", "YFADMIN"
You should be able to pull most of these right from the "person" table. This could potentially be a workaround in the meantime. I've gone ahead and submitted this as an Idea and created an enhancement request in our internal tracking system. Any potential updates regarding this matter will be posted here.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike.I did manage to get a query together and generate a spreadsheet for the user who requested it. 

Thank you for your troubles

Tiaan

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 12:13 PM, Mike Sheehan <support@yellowfin.bi> wrote:

photo

Hi Tiaan,

Excellent. Thank you for the update!

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Tiaan,

I know you already found a suitable workaround, but I'm just coming in here to update this ticket that we will not be going forward with this enhancement as there is a pretty simple workaround here. Beyond the aforementioned workaround there's also pre-built audit content available on the marketplace, which has a bunch of reports based on who is using the system. There might be a report there that with this data that could then be pushed to csv. Considering this, I'm closing this Idea ticket out. Please don't hesitate to reach out with further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi All,

As a note to the community at large: due to the relative ease of this workaround, combined with how infrequently administrators should be required to actually perform user exports, we'd like a deeper understanding and more compelling reasoning for why this would be a particularly useful feature addition.

What are the business use cases that make this such a frequent occurrence that it'd be useful to create such a feature?

Regards,

Mike

photo

A more compelling case would be when wanting to migrate a whole org from one system to another. This would be required when wanting to run on a freshly installed version of YF due to the idiosyncrasies of in situ upgrades. Also useful if you have a large org and need to send the user list to their IT for Add/Delete users from existing setup.

Charlie

photo

Hi Charles,

Thanks for your feedback. These things are possible with back-end queries and shouldn't have to be performed all that much regardless, especially importing from one system to another. Thanks again though. It's important to know the demand is there for an Idea.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

I appreciate certain parts could be DB queried however to date I have not see a query that can extract a whole ORG in a multi org environment. Currently there is in the Admin section of each org an export for connections, reports, groups etc. If you want to lift that org from one solution to another you would have to do several different table queries and hope that the IDs didn't conflict an existing org in the new solution. I would love it if there was an org migration script so please share if something like that is available.

Regards,

Charlie

photo

Hi Charlie,

It sounds like what you may be looking for here is the more expansive ability to export non-reporting objects Idea. I say this because in order to export an entire Org and its contents, you'd need to be able to export users, user groups, RefCodes, and Roles, as exemplified here. Please have a look at the above linked Idea and let me know if this seems to fall more in line with what you're looking for, and if so, please feel free to throw a vote in that Idea as well.

Regards,

Mike

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file