Dynamic date filters for report consumers

Yoav Chen shared this idea 6 years ago
Not Planned

The request is for this filter STYLE to be available as a filter OUTSIDE of the report builder.

We want such a filter in the reports and dashboard, so content viewers can filter this way and not just report builders.

Since some of our reports are looking at the past and some show future prediction, this dynamic date is the perfect solution and is much faster to use than the custom date filter which force the user to browse through months to pick a specific day.

Replies (6)

photo

Hi Yoav,

I believe what you're after is still there.

Are you referring to 'dynamic dates' ?

696805ab808b3dff291b43d3683fa9cf

Believe this was implemented in 7.2.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi David,

The request is for this filter STYLE to be available as a filter OUTSIDE of the report builder.

We want such a filter in the reports and dashboard, so content viewers can filter this way and not just report builders.

Since some of our reports are looking at the past and some show future prediction, this dynamic date is the perfect solution and is much faster to use than the custom date filter which force the user to browse through months to pick a specific day.

Thanks,

Yoav

photo

BTW,

I dont understand the description of this enhancement.

We just wanted the dynamic date options to be available for content viewers, and this option never existed in previous versions.

Thanks,

Yoav

photo

Thanks for the extra info Yoav,

Yeah I'm not sure how the description got entered as it's tied to your name, so I'm thinking someone has raised this on behalf of you.

I've cleared it up.. hopefully this makes more sense now.

In regards to your suggestion on allowing report consumers to be able to choose -/+ x days etc.. this is something that is not currently planned.

I can understand why you would like this, and how it would benefit some users, though in order to implement such a feature we would really need to cater for -/+ days/months/years (essentially mimic what we have for report builders), which would then make things a bit harder for consumers as a whole.

Still something that may be revisited in the future if we see more of a demand for it, but at this point in time there are no such plans.

Sorry for the bad news, and appreciate the feedback!

Regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

I understand your business POV, but i'm surprises about your claim that entering +/- days/months/years is harder than using the custom date picker (which is a must for ranges that don't include Today as a starting point).

The alternative option is to allow users to create their own predefined date ranges, which is also a missing feature.

I hope some more date filtering flexibility will eventually reach the report view level.

Thanks,

Yoav

photo

Hi Yoav,

Things are not usually as easy as they seem. There is a whole lot of UI logic that has to be implemented also.

Keep in mind, if we see more of a demand for this, we can revisit.

As for allowing users to create their own pre-defined periods. We find it easier to simply create these periods on behalf of the client, but haven't completely ruled out the ability for users to create their own.

Sorry again for the bad news.

Regards,

David

photo
photo

Hello everyone,

Someone had this question yesterday and I thought of a simple solution using parameters. I think that my parameter approach is the best of both worlds. I include a pro tip that allows the report writer the ability to let the report user filter on date range or days offset. Take a look here: https://community.yellowfinbi.com/topic/allow-dynamic-date-filters-to-be-user-prompt#comment-46879 FYI I was in a rush to make the tutorial so my grammar was all over the place. I use a similar approach for doctors that want to see the next x days of their appointments. I too think that dynamic offset is a great idea but I can see the challenge in creating it for the end user.

photo

Nice Stuff Larry!!

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file