Is there anyway to create dynamic text labels in charts/reports?

Nathan Schroeder shared this question 7 years ago
Answered

I would like to display text dynamically in a report output (eg as a chart title), similar to creating a chart with a single numeric value.

Best Answer
photo

If you're using 7.3 or greater just use a Text field and Parameter Replacement. If it's the first filter on the list then [filter:1]. Hopefully they'll add more tags.

http://wiki.yellowfin.com.au/display/USER73Plus/Parameter+Replacement

Replies (9)

photo

Thanks to a creative client, there is now a cool work around to accomplish this!

In the following example, I have created a report where the user filters on demographic. The chart's data reflects this filter, but it would be nice if we could add a chart title that better reflects the importance of this filter.

1. Drag the field to be used as text into your report, as well as any numeric value.

2. Create a line chart, placing the filtered filed on the x-axis, and any numeric field on the y-axis (it does not matter what field, this will not be shown)

3. Remove the chart's legend

98bb5e0633f62c1b5d2f40d9767929eb

4. Set the axis label to "custom" style and Increase the font size.

0fc19527bc3377a6164c7683c181100a

5. In the report design tab, reduce the size of this chart to the point where only the axis label is visible.

6b22edd40edb1a98c708f9574b457c4c

6. Place the chart wherever you want.

fc8ee3686f25c1a50d08c02ff680dde5

Note that depending on the version of Yellowfin you are using, it may be necessary to add white squares to your report in order to hide the chart"s x-axis and label ticks.

Cheers to Sadi Ashfaque for bringing this awesome trick to our attention!!

photo

Hi,

Seems like my report shows blank in Design mode. I'm thinking both Graphs have been overlapped.

Appreciate your assistance on this.

JFYI.. we are on YellowFin7.3 version.

Thank you,

Chakra

photo

Hi Chakra,

Maybe it would be easier to do a quick screen-share on this. Can you let me know when you are available? I will be out for most of next week but will return around the new years.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Nathan,

Actually, to be honest, we are not using YellowFin directly. BMC Remedy offered us YellowFin 7.3 (for BMC remedy 9.1.03) as their reporting solution which is integrated with Remedy Web tier. So, I'm not completely sure of all the limitation in BMC provided YellowFin against actual YellowFin. Few limitation that I'm aware such as ..Only JDBC connector, No Freehand SQL based reports, Only Append / Union for combining queries (no minus and other) etc... With that said, I'm not sure if Dynamic report header is something that is supported by BMC provided YellowFin. So, I'm trying to get in touch with BMC support folks for further assistance on this topic. But if you still think you can have a look at it, then I'll be more that happy to connect with you. let me know.

Thank you,

Chakra

photo

And thanks for your quick response. Appreciate it!

photo

Hi Chakra,

In this case I do think that going through BMC support is the best first step. If you are still facing issues after let me know and we can re-visit this.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Yes, that's what I thought. Thank you for your assistance. I'll get back to you if necessary.

Thank you,

Chakra

photo

If you're using 7.3 or greater just use a Text field and Parameter Replacement. If it's the first filter on the list then [filter:1]. Hopefully they'll add more tags.

http://wiki.yellowfin.com.au/display/USER73Plus/Parameter+Replacement

photo

Thanks for mentioning that Larry! This is definitely the preferred work around now.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file