Commented out filters in freehand report does not remove them.

Larry Beasley shared this problem 6 years ago
Completed

I was testing out some filter capabilities and noticed this happens.b8db6548da5ce15d4a5340820cc38f4f

8cf7bb2214c66703c12708572e33efc2

Replies (2)

photo

Hi Larry,

Thank you for reaching out. I believe commenting is recognized and performed in the respective database management studio, not in the SQL querying itself. Regardless, Yellowfin doesn't recognize commenting in its freehand SQL reports or statements, unfortunately.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Are you certain that Yellowfin doesn't recognize commenting in its freehand SQL reports or statements?

photo

Hi Larry,

In my testing, as well as far as my colleagues and I are aware of, Yellowfin does not recognize SQL comments.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Larry,

Upon further investigation, commenting does work with Freehand SQL reports and views on SQL Server. What db are you using? If you are using a different DB, we can raise an enhancement request to make commenting recognized on that db.

Thanks,

Mike

photo

Hi Larry,

I haven't forgotten about you. We have to reach out to the dev team to figure out more about commenting, as until we actually tested it, we were under the impression comments wouldn't get parsed! Unfortunately though, the dev team is based in Australia, and as such, are out until Tuesday due to public holiday. I'm hoping I can provide an update for you on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Larry,

Hope all's well! I'm afraid I don't have any more information beyond that commenting does indeed seem to work, but I suspect you'd have figured out what you would've needed regarding this by now. This has been open for quite some time so I'll close this out for now, but please let me know if you'd like me to try and obtain more information on this once more.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Mike,

I agree that commenting does indeed work, however, it does not work on filters. It also gets squirrely if you mix a commented variable with it. Can you replicate this? See below images:

95ac78da74cd32313b465166804035d2

93bf7e4a987584337a589cf62d48f511

7bbea95f795863ee2e15211ef1a85e3a

I'd be willing to bet that the source code is looking for {?} and when it finds it, it pulls that line of code regardless of the commenting mechanism. I've moved on from what I was trying to use this for but nevertheless, the issue remains. Perhaps it has been resolved but I did not take the above comment as such. Hope this helps.

photo

Hi Larry,

Thanks for taking the time and detailing this. I can replicate what you're seeing here and I've gone ahead and logged a defect for this. Even though you've moved on from what you were trying to use this for, any potential updates regarding this will be posted here.

Regards,

Mike

photo
photo

SQL Server. Could it be that comments surrounding declare statements or specifically those  set as = {} are ignored? Otherwise comments block everything else.

Get Outlook for Android

Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 4:57:01 PM

To: Larry Beasley

Subject: New Comment in "Commented out filters in freehand report does not remove them."

Leave a Comment

Attach a file