Unable to see linear regression equation on scatter graphs

Matt McGarvey shared this idea 6 years ago
Idea Logged

When using the regression trend on a scatter graph i am unable to see any of the model description, most importantly the equation of the trend. Which can be seen in the data analyst advanced content creation video.

Replies (4)

photo

Hi Matt,

Thank you for reaching out. Can you either send a screenshot or the specific time in the video where you see the equation of the trend? Also, for the chart type, you should be able to read description, via a Tooltip, where the regression line is aligned with each value on the (presumably) horizontal Axis.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike, I've attached the screenshot you wanted, where the equation of the trend line can be seen, I am wanting/expecting to see something similar for my regression line except it would be of the form Y= mx+c. Is this a possibility?

Thank you for the response!

photo

Hi Matt,

Thank you for your response. You can see this equation by clicking on a data point along the regression trend line on the graph:

62b5a44cdbc1ae6102309e3a7beb801a

d36caac9838f0a5e2eaea5d5dcdeec97

There is no way to change the way the equation is displayed, however. What I could do is create an idea ticket in our community to see if gains any traction by getting some votes on there. Let me know if that's something you'd like for me to do.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

I see here you're using a line graph, I am using a scatter graph ( where there is a metric on both the X and Y axis) and so I don't think this functionality exists? I also think an idea ticket would be a good idea.

Thanks,

Matt

photo
photo

Hi Matt,

I do see that the equation is actually not available for the Scatter graph. I've gone ahead and created an enhancement request to show the equation on points of Trend Lines as in the Auto Chart, for example, on all charts that have Trend Line functionality. Any updates regarding this matter will be posted in here.

Regards,

MikeD

Leave a Comment

Attach a file