How Do I Automatically Assign Dashboards to New Users?

Brendan Codrington shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

Hi, this is related to the forum question How Do I Assign Dashboards to Users? but with an additional component - can new users be automatically assigned a dashboard if they're automatically added to a group?

As in:

Group "Default Dashboard" has users with the role "Role ABC", and default dashboard for that group is "Welcome Dash".

If a new user is added with the role "Role ABC", will they:

- automatically be added to the group "Default Dashboard", and

- automatically see the dashboard "Welcome Dash"?

Or does adding to groups and/or distributing the dashboard to new members need to be done manually? Is there any other way to automatically distribute a dashboard to all/new users as they are added without manually doing so per user?

(Note - we're on 7.2, looking at 7.4 soon.)

Thanks,

Brendan

Replies (7)

photo

Hi Brendan,

The closest thing we have to this, is that youc an assign users to user groups through web-service calls.

So you can create a user with one call, then immediately add them to a group with another call:

http://wiki.yellowfin.com.au/display/USER73Plus/Web+Services

Will this work?

Nathan

photo

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for this - so if we were to add another call to immediately add them to a group, would/could they then automatically be subscribed to the default dashboard for that group? On testing, once manually adding a user to a group with the default dashboard that dash doesn't appear for that user, I still have to manually add the dashboard (or add the user in dashboard management).

Or are we wandering into the realms of an enhancement request - the ability to set, within user/role administration, a default user group and/or default dashboard for new users to which they are subscribed and no further action is required for them to see it?

Brendan

photo

Hi Breandan,

This is one of those cases that straddles the line between enhancement and bug. I will set up a replication of this today, raise it as a bug for now, and pass along the ticket id.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Brendan,

Sorry for the flip flop here, I guess the bug I was thinking of has been fixed!

If you run "INCLUDEUSERINGROUP" after adding that user (before they login for the first time). They will see the correct dashboards on login.

This should work the same in the UI as well, as long as the user does not log for the first time prior to them being added to the user group.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Nathan

photo

Hi Nathan, ok great. So if I understand this correctly, we'd have to manually distribute a dashboard to all existing users at a point in time and then set up the new call to add any new users to INCLUDEUSERINGROUP?

Thanks,

Brendan

photo

Hi Brendan,

Yes the distribution of dashboards to groups will have to be manual, but after that any new users can be added to those groups through INCLUDEUSERINGROUP, which will allow them to see that dashboard automatically.

Nathan

photo

Hi Brendan,

I am going to set this ticket to closed for now, but if there is anything else I can do to help here, please just let me know and the case will be re-opened!

Regards,

Nathan

Leave a Comment

Attach a file