Cross tab date dimension default chart order should not be alphanumeric

Jonas De Beukelaer shared this idea 6 years ago
Idea Logged

Hey,

It seems when using a date field (or associated hierarchy, like weeks) in a cross tab report, the default sort oder in the charts section is alphanumeric. This obviously doesn't make much sense as the data points end up in an arbitrary order.

I would either expect it to default to table order, or, more appropriately, as a time series field.

I believe this issue only started in the latest version (7.4), but don't have a way to confirm for sure.

Seems it's been this way since 7.2 according to yf support here.

Apologies if there is a default setting somewhere, but I can't find it!

Thanks,

Jonas

Replies (7)

photo

I just noticed someone has already pointed this out here.

If this is indeed expected behaviour, I'd like to raise this as an Idea to have the date field default to either table or be set to time axis, as I don't understand why it defaulting to alphabetical is preferential?

Thanks

photo

Hi Jonas,

interestingly, when you click the Time Series settings of the datetime field in the Chart screen there are 3 options: "Default", "On", "Off", and by default Yellowfin has this value configured as "Default":

However, it seems that this "Default" value is set to "Off" and I've been searching around the application but can't find where to change the "Default" value to "On"

So I'm going to ask around over here to see if indeed the Time Series "Default" value is actually configurable or not.

I'll let you know what I find out...

regards,

David

photo

Hi Jonas,

I've looked at the source code and currently the "Default" setting is not user-configurable. So I have raised an internal enhancement request (YFN-10428) for the Time Series option for date fields in crosstab charts to be by default set to ON (or be user-configurable) as they are for Line, Step, Trellis and Auto charts.

Thanks for your input!

regards,

David

photo

Sweet thanks David!

photo

you're welcome!

photo

Hi Dave, just backing up Jonas' sentiment that this enhancement would be much appreciated.

I have just upgraded from 7.1 to 7.4 and all my crosstab charts based on months are now sorted Alphabetically.

That's a lot of work to update each chart individually to match what we had previously.

Any progress on the request?

Regards,Nick

photo

Hi Nick,

I've checked the status of the request and the good news is that it has been reviewed by the developers and hasn't been rejected, however, it hasn't been planned as of yet.

regards,

David

Leave a Comment

Attach a file