calculated fields and drill through

tabitha shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

Hello.

i have set up some calculated fields in my master report and the same fields in my child report. I have then created a drill through with these reports. The master report is a chart which you drill through to a report.

I have used a heat grid. When you press on the cell that has the data you want to look at in it is now showing all the projects in the system not just the ones that where highlighted by the cell.

I am sure it is user error but i cant seem to find why this is happening. Anyone else come across this? Is there another setting i need to change?

Thank you

Replies (8)

photo

Hi Tabitha,

Thank you for reaching out. Linking Drill Through's via chart's can be a little tricky. Fortunately, we have a detailed Wiki entry on Drill Through's which I've found very helpful to follow the steps of in order to set this up properly. Further, there's a separate Wiki entry on Drill Capabilities on Charts. Please take a look through this documentation and let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Mike

photo

Hi mike,

I have set up drill throughs with the preprogrammed fields and it has worked great. I have now learnt about calculated fields and created some. Now I have applied them to my charts the drill through has stopped working. I thought there must be a step with the calculated field but going back over the guidance I haven’t.

Should these calculated fields work the same as the pre programmed fields??

photo

Hi Tabitha,

Thanks for your response. You can use and filter Calculated Fields in both the parent and child reports in the same manner as a normal metric or dimension. The major difference lies in the Joins section, as you can not Join a Calculated Field as a master field to a child filter. Can I see your settings in the Related Content section of the report builder? And can you please tell me which fields are Calculated Fields?

photo
photo

Hi Mike,

Here is a screen shot

382c54d50d41521525a12e53377c6ea9

The calculated fields have an E after them.

Thank you

Tabitha Grooby

Business Systems Manager

Merrydale House,

Roydsdale Way,

Bradford - W. Yorkshire,

BD4 6SE

T: (01274) 474 080 D: (01274) 474081 M: 07964 027795

www.hbprojects.co.uk

Bradford| Livingston | Gatwick

Confidentiality Notice:-

The information contained in this message is confidential and intended for the addressee only.

If you have received this message in error or there are problems with it, please notify the originator

immediately. The unauthorized use, disclosure copying or alteration of this message and its attachments

is strictly forbidden.

Registered in UK|Number 3685752

Registered Address: Merrydale House, Roydsdale Way, Bradford BD4 6SE

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

Sent: 22 March 2018 21:39

To: Tabitha Grooby <t.grooby@hbprojects.co.uk>

Subject: New Comment in "calculated fields and drill through"

photo

Hi Tabitha,

I set up a Calculated Field in both reports, then set the Calculated Field as a Filter in the Child Report and am seeing an error, though it could potentially have to do with how the filters are set up, as it seems like it is a different error than yours. When I click on a demographic in my chart for instance, even with the calculated field, it is showing only Family results when I Drill Through.

If you're seeing all results show up when you click on the Hyperlink, you may want to check the following settings, under Chart Settings > Drill Through:

8b535e2e32425acab806752c365186d4

Please take a look at these settings and let me know what you come up with.

Thanks,

Mike

photo

Well I got it to work but not the value that is in the cell on the chart is not matching how many come up when I press for the drill through. Is that the error your getting? How do I fix that? 

Tabitha Grooby

Business Systems Manager 

HB Projects Ltd.,

Merrydale House,

Roydsdale Way,

Bradford - W. Yorkshire,

BD4 6SE

T:(01274) 474 080  M: 07964 027795

Bradford | Livingston | Gatwick

Twitter ]     [ LinkedIn ]     [ Website ] 

Sent from my mobile device – please excuse any autocorrect errors

The information contained in this message is confidential and intended for the addressee only.

If you have received this message in error or there are problems with it, please notify the originator

immediately. The unauthorized use, disclosure copying or alteration of this message and its attachments

is strictly forbidden.

Registered in UK|Number 3685752

On 23 Mar 2018, at 18:51, Yellowfin Support <support@yellowfin.bi> wrote:

photo

Hi Tabitha,

This is dependent on how your data and filters are set-up. To get some sort of idea of what's going on, I'd need to see your data and filters are set up in both the parent report and the child report. There doesn't seem to be defective behavior here based on what I've seen so far, but it's hard to say more without seeing more of how everything is set-up.

Thanks,

Mike

photo

The heat grid shows eight schemes for the co-op in enabling works.

3a57b8026c4fa043491b052cea3933f8

I press the square to see the drill through and it only shows seven?

When I run a search in union square I can see 8. The one missing is highlighted. There are number of cells doing this. Any idea why please:

This is the fields

This is the same for each report.

Thank you

Tabitha Grooby

Business Systems Manager

Merrydale House,

Roydsdale Way,

Bradford - W. Yorkshire,

BD4 6SE

T: (01274) 474 080 D: (01274) 474081 M: 07964 027795

www.hbprojects.co.uk

Bradford| Livingston | Gatwick

is strictly forbidden.

Registered in UK|Number 3685752

Sent: 23 March 2018 22:09

To: Tabitha Grooby <t.grooby@hbprojects.co.uk>

Subject: New Comment in "calculated fields and drill through"

photo

Hi Tabitha,

This scenario you've illustrated seems quite specific to your data set. Perhaps one other recommendation would be to grab the SQL statement after performing the drill through, then try running that SQL statement directly. Ultimately, this is all difficult to set up since I don't know your data and, further, configuring reports does fall more under consulting. I can give you places to look and to start, but ultimate setup of your data and report creation lies with them. I'm fairly certain we've narrowed this down to certain variables between the various filters and data setup overall, and not some kind of defect within Yellowfin. Unless you have further details that indicate this may be defective behavior, I'm not sure I can really help you much further on this, unfortunately. If you'd like to look further into consulting services, please speak with your account manager for further information.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Tabitha,

I'm just going through some of my older cases. I'm going to go ahead and mark this one as Answered, but if you have further questions or concerns on this, if you respond, it will re-open the case and put it back in my queue and I'll be happy to help.

Regards,

Mike

Leave a Comment

Attach a file