Create new version in Storyboard crashes yf app (20170928)

Dennis Zasoba shared this problem 6 years ago
Resolved

To whom it may concern.

Here are the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Login as Admin

2. Create New Storyboard

3. Edit > Create New Version > change title > Save

4. Open Version History > Click on latest Version Image

5. System Error appears

6. Attempt to log back in

Expected results: app should not crash and user should be able to use all app functions without system errors

Actual results: app crashes and user is unable to even login

Severity: BLOCKER

Replies (9)

photo

System Error:

Error: java.lang.NullPointerException

At:

com.hof.mi.web.action.MIStoryboardAction.execute(MIStoryboardAction.java:324)

org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionPerform(RequestProcessor.java:425)

org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:229)

org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1913)

org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doPost(ActionServlet.java:462)

javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:661)

javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:742)

org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:231)

org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166)

org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52)

org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)

org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166)

com.hof.servlet.BrowserHeaderFilter.doFilter(BrowserHeaderFilter.java:43)

org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:198)

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:96)

org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:478)

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:140)

org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:80)

org.apache.catalina.valves.AbstractAccessLogValve.invoke(AbstractAccessLogValve.java:624)

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:87)

org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:342)

org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service(Http11Processor.java:799)

org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessorLight.process(AbstractProcessorLight.java:66)

org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:868)

org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1455)

org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProcessorBase.run(SocketProcessorBase.java:49)

java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)

java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)

org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)

java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

photo

Hi Dennis,

I have studied your video and I can see that you didn't click the Create button after you modified the Storyboard name.

Please try clicking the Create button after you modify the Storyboard name and see if that resolves the issue.

I have attached a short video of how to do this to aid your understanding of the matter.

Please let me know how it goes.

photo

S'up Dave.

Thanks for timely reply.

You are right, i've followed your flow and the app doesn't crash if i save after changing the title and description only. So i added a steps to change the "Themes" image and it crashed then. After that the [Save] button became inactive.

Please review my new vid

Quality regards,

Dennis

photo
photo

Hi Dennis,

thank you very much for latest video. I transcribed it into the following replication steps:

1)  Click Browse Storyboards
2)  Create new Storyboard
3)  Give it the Title of "Repro", (leave Subtitle and Description blank, leave theme on default Ski Team) 
4)  Click Save
5)  Add new Text Slide, give it a Title of "new" (leave Subtitle blank, and leave Color on the default)
6)  Click the Add button, then don't add any Text
7)  Click Present Mode, 
8)  Activate the Storyboard.
9)  Edit the Storyboard, 
10) Click Create New Version
11) Change the Storyboard Title to "2 Repro", 
12) Click the Create button.
13) Click Present Mode, 
14) Activate the Storyboard.
15) Edit the Storyboard, 
16) Click Create New Version
17) Add a Subtitle of "efef" 
18) Add a Description of "123"
19) Click the Create button.
20) Click Present Mode, 
21) Click Activate.
22) Edit the Storyboard, 
23) Click Create New Version
24) Change the theme from Ski Team to Yellowfin.
25) Change the title to "3 Repro" 
26) Click the Create button.
27) The Create button doesn't work.
28) Click the version button, then choose the latest version, you'll get a System Error and a Null Pointer Exception.

Then I followed the steps myself to replicate the issue over here, but unfortunately I wasn't able to. I'm definitely using the same version and build of Yellowfin as you, the same browser, and as far as I can tell, I have carefully followed your replication steps.

I have attached a short video of my efforts and I would be most grateful if you could take a minute to watch it and let me know if you think I followed any of the steps incorrectly.

Thanks in advance!

David

photo

Hi Dave,

it seems you're missing steps 17) Add a Subtitle of "efef" 18) Add a Description of "123" after step #11.

Also your Chrome version is showing ver. 61 instead of ver. 62

And i'm working from on MacOS Sierra ver. 10.12.6

Hope that helps to repro the issue.

Quality regards,

Dennis

photo

Hi Dennis,

I have double-checked my video and I can say that steps 17) Add a Subtitle of "efef" and 18) Add a Description of "123" are not missing. They are definitely there (at timestamp 1:07) in the correct place after step 16).

And they definitely shouldn't be after step 11), the correct step after step 11) Change the Storyboard Title to "2 Repro" is step 12) Click the Create button.

I upgraded my Chrome to Version 62.0.3202.94 (Official Build) (64-bit) and repeated your test case but unfortunately that still didn't help reproduce the issue, and also I got one of the mac users over here to replicate the issue but again, to no avail.

Because of this unfortunate situation where I can't replicate the issue over here, I'm going to ask you to please set Yellowfin's logging mode to that of DEBUG, and then cause the issue to occur again and then send across the logs.

(Don't forget to switch your logging level back to that of INFO afterwards because DEBUG level creates a lot of entries.)

thanks,

David

photo

Top of the afternoon, Dave.

I followed your instructions and got the logs with the DEBUG mode. Hope that helps!

Quality regards,

Dennis

photo

Hi Dennis,

thanks for your efforts but unfortunately something has gone wrong the logging, each file is only 1 KB:

and the files are unreadable:

I don't know what has gone wrong here. Maybe you've found a bug! If this is the case then unfortunately we can't fix it because the logging is not Yellowfin code, it is the standard log4j component of Tomcat.

That's a pity, I will have to think of another way to proceed with the investigation of this case.

Could you please make a dump of your Yellowfin configuration database and then upload it to our FTP site (you should receive an auto-email containing your login details any minute now, if you don't get it please check your spam folder).

Please let me know when it has been uploaded.

thanks,

David

photo

Hi Dennis,

I'm in the process of cleaning up my work list and I noticed that this ticket is still open and in the "Awaiting Reply' status, so I'm just wondering how it's all going over there? Is the Storyboard issue still an issue? And if it is, have you had a chance yet to upload your Yellowfin configuration database to our FTP site yet?

regards,

David

photo

Hi Dennis,

there has been no response to my previous post to you a month ago so this ticket will be closed now.

However, if you ever want to reopen it, then all you have to do is to add a new post to it and that will automatically change the ticket's status to "In Progress" which in turn will place it back again in our work queue.

regards,

David

Leave a Comment

Attach a file