Rserve - data transformations - connection refused

Peter Flinn shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

I've setup a local instance of R, am using R Studio to install and run Rserve. I recieve the correct resposne form telnet 127.0.0.1 6311, so I know Rserve is running. But when I try to transform data using the R plugin, I get a 'connection refused' message. Yellowfin is running on a server lcoated in our network locally.

Can anyone suggest what to do next?

Replies (18)

photo

Hi Peter,

You will need to specify the exact R URL in the advanced connection options, and point to your local machines network IP/ R port

Yellowfin will need to connect to your computer's R instance, which means the connection will be defined in a way that feels backwards to you as a user inside of Yellowfin.

Let me know if this does not work.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Nathan - tried to connect using the server IP and port numbers. Either way no success - how does the connection work if all are running on the server? I am using a data transformation to do this, and now I'm running R and Rserve on the server, per the instructions. It's frustrating!

Is there a step by step set of instructions at you can provide please? For exmaple shoudl R and Rserve be running on the same machone, or can R and Rserve run on the connecting machine and still work? It's not clear.

Thanks.

photo

Hi Peter,

Here is the complete documentation for this step:

http://wiki.yellowfin.com.au/display/USER74/R+Model+Prediction

This is easiest if Rserve is running on the same machine as Yellowfin, and you do not need multiple R instances. If you start Rstudio and launch Rserve from that commandline, then you will need to provide Yellowfin the connection details to that R studio.

If you are still having trouble after going through the documentation then please let me know and we can arrange a quick screen-share.

Nathan

photo

I notice that in the document you refer to it clearly states that you install R on your local machine (p4), then install and run Rserve from there. Thats the one I have been following, BTW. That's what I mean about confusing!

photo

I shoudl add that for some reason I can no longer access our instance of YF either, despite a restart. Not sure why that is. Perhaps a screen share is in order.

photo

HI Peter,

Here is a link we can use whenever you are ready:

https://meetings.ringcentral.com/j/1494100636

Nathan

photo

Hi Peter,

Unfortunately it is the end of my day so I am going to leave the call.If you cannot get into YF, then that is a critical issue and you should raise it as a separate issue so that one of the AUS guys can take a look today.

Regards,

Nahtan

photo

HI Peter,

Let me know what time you are available tomorrow for the Rserve issue. I am on US Mountain Time.

Nathan

photo

It'll have to be Monday now - out and about. I've left a support request to deal with the service disappearng on the server, and the fact that I can't get to reinstall.

photo

Hi Peter,

Let me know when you are available to screen-share!

Nathan

photo

Any time from now Nathan. I have in the meanwhile set up Rserve as a service on our server, and that is working OK. Don't have any scripts to test yet, but will be doing so soon. The set up in the documentation for 'neural-net-script.R' requires an input file which no longer exists on Github, so that doesn't work. It wold be good if you could have a quick look to see that al;l is well with my set-up though :-)

photo

Hi Peter,

Here is a link we can use whenever you are ready:

https://meetings.ringcentral.com/j/1489282375

Nathan

photo

Signed in – are you there?

Sent: Wednesday, 14 March 2018 8:54 AM

To: Peter Flinn <pflinn@wcd.net.au>

Subject: New Comment in "Rserve - data transformations - connection refused"

photo

F:2018-03-14 09:12:19:ERROR (RStep:error) - Unable to create R dataframe out of provided table

org.rosuda.REngine.Rserve.RserveException: eval failed, request status: R parser: syntax error

at org.rosuda.REngine.Rserve.RConnection.eval(RConnection.java:234)

at rstep.RStep.processEndRows(RStep.java:423)

photo

Hi Peter,

Sorry for the delay here. I have finally had time to play around with NSSM, and unfortunately (ish) it worked like a champ and I am not getting the same errors you are. Have you had time to play around with this since?

I used this link to setup Rserve.exe for exe launching:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24150959/where-is-the-rserve-config-file-located-on-windows

And then created a simple service (I had no arguements in my rserve.cnf file)

Regarding the error below, can you send me the csv file you used that generated this?

Nathan

photo

Thanks Nathan - I did finally create an instance as a service on our server (not my local machine, as beofre), and it did work using that approach - mentioned this in another ticket with one of your colleagues. The method is to set it up using a utility called NSSM (has its own web site, check it out) - works OK now, thanks to that. This approach also leaves the service running when I'm not logged on to the server, so we can all use R when required - we have quite a few scripts for producing reports in R, and in due course will want to adapt some of them for use in Yellowfin. Fell free to close the ticket, and thanks for your help - good advice.

photo

Hi Peter,

I have to imagine that other colleague was me as well? :)

Glad to hear you got it working, here is the article I created out of this:

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/topic/install-rserve-as-a-windows-service

Nathan

photo

Ha Ha! It probably was, too many things going on at once over here :-). Thanks for the article, always a help.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file