Unable to create Freehand SQL Report

Jonathan Allen shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

We have two roles in our system that both have the "Report Types" role permission enabled. However, from one of them I am able to create Freehand SQL Reports (see Admin.png), and from the other I am not (see Advanced.png). For the user that is not able to create a Freehand SQL Report, I am still able to select the "Advanced Authoring" option and select "Freehand SQL" from the Author Method pulldown, but the "Create Analysis" button is missing. This is blocking users with this role from using the Freehand SQL Reporting functionality.

What are the required permissions for a user to be able to use the Freehand SQL option for creating reports?

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Johnathan,

One of the keys to this is having the access at the data source and view level as well. Are either of these private?

If not can you send me your role permissions page for these users? (save as HTML)

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Nate,

I can try to get you the full details. I know for example that the role that cannot create freehand sql reports does not have permission to create new views. Does a user require the ability to create views to be able to create SQL reports?

Jon

photo

Hi Jonathan,

I am not sure on the exact combination, but free-hand SQL allows you to skip the view and by-pass many restrictions, so requires a substantial amount of access.

Is the data source private?

If the role is the only difference, then experimenting by opening up the permissions on that role temporarily (Data source would be my first guess), until you can get it working sounds like the best way.

Unfortunately we are a bit busy at the moment so I do not have time to do this experimentation myself, but if you do find anything of value please let me know.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Nathan,

Looks like it was the view creation permission. I replicated the role permissions locally and saw the same issue, but after enabling view creation permission the user was able to create a freehand SQL report. It would be nice to have these linked dependencies on permissions documented since there is already a "Report types" permission that indicates it includes freehand SQL. Also we would like to be able to independently control view creation from sql report creation ideally, so that would be a nice enhancement for us.

-Jon

photo

Hi Jon,

Good find, I will make a note of that, and probably a community article when I get the chance.

I have created the following idea for this:

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/topic/seperate-freehand-sql-reports-as-a-permission

Regards,

Nathan

Leave a Comment

Attach a file