Pre-defined Period Additions

Tal Mickel shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

Hi!

is it possible for us to add more options to the Pre-defined Periods defined in filtering dates?

like it is possible to add functions to the functions in - custom-function- appserver\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF.

Thanks,

Tal

Replies (3)

photo

Hi Tal,

unfortunately there is no direct way to do this that is analogous to adding a new function via the custom-functions.xml file.

I tried to do one as an experiment, I decided I wanted to add a pre-defined period of The Year Before Last and I found that I had to:

1) create 2 calculated fields via SQL at the View level, the first for 2 years ago and the second for 1 year ago (as shown below)

/wfHr8EAADARAWy1v8HJ0GvgkRnRn8AAAAASUVORK5CYIIA

2) Then in a report I dragged in my date column twice into the filter section, and configured it to be "Greater Than Or Equal To Column" and then selected the one from step 1) above called "Two Years back" and also "Less Than Or Equal To Column" and then selected that other calculated field "One Year back"

/8T8L8gIAAByMvAAAAAcjLwAAwMHICwAAcDDyAgAAHIy8AAAAByMvAADAwcgLAABwMPICAAAcjLwAAAAHIy8AAMDByAsAAHAw8gIAAByMvAAAAAcjLwAAwMH+D89phxt301jEAAAAAElFTkSuQmCCAA==

But obviously this is "hard-coded" and thus doesn't give the user the ability to select other periods from a drop-down list of Pre-Defined periods.

So ultimately I think it is best to raise a new Idea if you would like a new Pre-Defined Period in Yellowfin.

regards,

David

photo

Hi Tal,

just cleaning up my worklist and I noticed that this ticket is still open, which is just as well because there is something extra worth mentioning on this subject.

Depending on type of Pre-defined Period you are wanting, it might be possible to get what you want by breaking up your filter periods.

For example, if you want Last month – 24 months..

We have a filter set ‘last month’

We have a filter offsets +/- X days/months

Use Last Month

OR

Link to Filter Greater Than – 24 months.

-easier to understand with screenshot below:

/H7Xv9Vl08Wa+AAAAAElFTkSuQmCCAA==

this gives you from Feb 2016 to Feb 2018.

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you'd like the ticket closed now.

regards,

David

photo

I found this technique really helpful. You can use it as in the example above, to get one contiguous date range.

Alternatively, you can set the Invoice Date Operator on the 2nd filter to Between, instead of Greater Than. Then if the user chooses 'Last Month' (for the first filter) they will also get data for same month 2 years before that. For example, if today's date was 20th June 2018 they'd get back rows for:

- May 2018

- May 2016

Very handy 'for comparing previous' no matter if you're comparing years, months, days etc.

photo

that's a very good point Dean!

Thanks very much for contributing it to the Yellowfin Community.

photo
photo

Hi Tal,

there has been no response to my previous post to you a month ago so this ticket will be closed now.

However, if you ever want to reopen it, then all you have to do is to add a new post to it and that will automatically change the ticket's status to "In Progress" which in turn will place it back again in our work queue.

regards,

David

Leave a Comment

Attach a file