Questions on View Folders/ Fields

Chakra shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

Hello,

I've bunch of folders that I've created in my new VIEW and I've added multiple fields in each folder. Would like to get your feedback on following questions

1. Can we rename existing folder Name? If so, How?

2. I think I somewhere in this community read that in (7.3 version) we will not be able to add sub-folders to parent folder. If that is true, when can be expect to be in place?

3. How to deal with modifying/ deleting a field if those are already been used in reports?

Appreciate your assistance on this please.

Thank you,

Chakra

Replies (8)

photo

Hello Chakra,

Thanks for reaching out with your questions.

1. You can rename an existing folder by visiting 'Administration' > 'Admin Console' > 'Field Folders'. This will allow you to view existing field folders and rename them if desired:

5f7a7d6fb2e2d0da3cbd5d91e7ab841a

simply click the name to edit it.

2. You're right, as of 7.3 we have removed the 'View Folders' from the product. We do not currently plan on putting this back in.

3. If you need to modify or delete a field that is already being used in reports, you will have to remove this field from the reports before deleting it from your View. To find a list of reports that the field is part of, you can edit the View and move to the 'Prepare' stage. From here, you'll want to click the arrow next to the field you want to remove and choose 'Profile' > 'Start Profiling'. Now, view the 'Usage' tab for a list of reports the field is used on:

5f2ea99685eb738dbe9baaa56529b536

You can see an example in the right-pane of the screenshot above.

Does this answer your questions?

Thanks,

Ryan

photo

Good morning Ryan,

Thank you for your response. Here are my comments on each points

1. Looks like we are not allowed to have multiple folders with same name throughout all views. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have used "Application System" folder in two Views (View X & View Y ) and I want to change the folder name to "Application System X" on View X and I'm interested to leave the folder name as is on View Y . Is this scenario possible? If I change the name of folder to "Application System X" under Admin Console > Field Folders, would the name change appear on View X and View Y ?

I can test this myself. However, I'm not even seeing my name change in View even after updating the folder name under Field Folder. Not sure if there is going to be a lag in seeing updates in view. But, this doesn't seem to be working for me currently.

Here is the example:

Existing folder name "Asset- Application System"

Updated Folder name under Field Folder: "Asset - Application System Test" (Refer screenshot)

Folder Under View appears as "Asset- Application System" (Refer Screenshot)

2. Thanks for confirming. Would've been nice to have it though.

3. Unfortunately, I cannot see this option anywhere in my View. Please refer to screenshot " Available Field Options". Is there a place where I can enable Profile option?

JFYI.. I'm a member of administrator.

Appreciate your feedback on this please.

Thank you,

Chakra

photo

Hi Chakra,

1. The folders represented in 'Admin Console' > 'Field Folders' will affect the existing folders on a global level. If you want a folder of a different name per View you will have to create a new folder for each View for which you'd like to change the name.

3. I can see by the color scheme you're using that you are running Smart Reporting. I would suggest contacting BMC Support in regards to the lack of this option, as they have integrated our product and may have made changes to functionality. BMC Support should always be your first stop with Smart Reporting Issues.

Aside from point 3, which should be addressed by your software vendor, does this successfully answer your question?

Thanks,

Ryan

photo

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for clarifying.

I'll check with BMC support on Profiling option. Thank you for your assistance.

Regards,

Chakra.

photo

Hi Chakra,

Happy to help! I'll go ahead and mark this as Answered.

Thanks,

Ryan

photo

Sure. Thank you!

photo

Is sub folder now allowed in parent folder in Yellowfin view?

photo

Hi Mayur,

I can confirm that saving views into sub-folders is supported, and has been since Yellowfin 7.4.

/be6a0cd2bc712a23ed463118e006b8bd

Please let me know if you had any other questions.

Regards,

David

photo

To be more precise, i had a requirement of creating dimension folder and measure folder under Agent and Agency parent folder in Prepare tab. But somehow i couldn't do it. Just wanted to know is this functionality possible?

/ae8fb91938bf7abb7eb0d7ede008fb7c

photo

Thanks for the extra info Mayur, this clears it up for me. At this point in time the ability to add sub-folders for view fields is possible. We have this logged as a feature request over here which I have now added you to, please go in and vote to show your need (I cannot vote on behalf of you).

Apologies that I could not help you further in this instance, and as always, thanks for the feedback!

Regards,

David

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file