Add Tabbed Report Builder

Asif Bhat shared this idea 6 years ago
Not Planned

Can we implement the ability to build two reports in the report builder via a tab method?/27840

Replies (2)

photo

Hi Asif,

Unfortunately at this point in time we do not have plans for the ability to build 2 reports at once.

However I do know we're still discussing how to allow Yellowfin to work in multiple browser tabs.

Is there a reason why you would want to build 2 reports at once?

Usually we find that building 1 report, and getting it right, allows you to make a copy of that report and make modifications, so you're not really re-creating a 2nd report, just tampering with a cloned copy.

Thanks,

David

photo

I want to create two or more tabs with different logic.

Tab1 - Incidents by Service

Tab2 - Incidents by Support Group

Tab3 - Work Order Report

Tab4 - Change Report

photo

You can actually do this by combining Union and Sections. The drawbacks are, you can't mix datatypes and the column names must be the same. If any of the columns in the master report have a metric then the following union fields will want a metric or it will automatically aggregate your dimension. For example, mixing a date field with service Id will only allow you to display the count or count distinct. If the columns are the same then you're good to go right off the bat. If not, there is still hope. You may be able to create dummy columns. To section the reports simply create a calc field for the master query and each union titled "Report Type" and enter the value for each one 'Incidents by Service', 'Incidents by Support Group', 'Work Order Report', 'Change Report'.

photo

Nice suggestion Larry!!

photo

Let me try this.

photo

I hope it works out for you! I use the section combined with calc fields and found it as a hidden gem. I have reports that break on Month, Week, Day, Fiscal Year, etc. with this clever technique. I only wish that I could filter sections in this case. That would be a game changer!

photo

I found that if you can pivot your data then you can use a feature that allows you to Only display fields in a section if they have data.

d97c357a3bc72a3ad3a26faf97c5d971

I created a report that displays upcoming appointments and the appointment type for my case managers. Some case managers have a lot of appointment types and most have 2-3. Turning this feature on and creating a section for each case manager keeps the cross tab manageable for each case manager as it will not display blank columns. You can apply this to your report(s) and only keep the measures that are common for each report type. This does not work for "normal" columns which is perfect for my report because I want to show blank columns for other measures.

In order for you to pull this off, you will need to unpivot your data in the view(s) so that you are left with a measure and a value and then whatever common measures like date, etc. similar to this example:

This is what your view would look like

01cb0c656e8c6146be93841eb929fcb4

This is what your report would look like

0813503c8aec38343e53bcfe18b41b8b

If the four reports have nothing in common then there will be challenges. If they have some things in common and you want proper column names and the appropriate number of columns for each report(section) then this will work fine.

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file