Rename Series

Larry Beasley shared this idea 6 years ago
Idea Logged

I would like a way to rename a series. Here is my scenario, My table displays every referral visit and the date difference until the first visit. I am counting referral visits and also counting days using the aggregation feature in charts. This is a very nice and handy feature as it eliminates the need to do the aggregation in the table but the inclusion of renaming the series may further improve this feature. For example, in the attachment my legend does not make any sense. It should be something like "Number of Referrals" and "Number of Services Resulting from Referral". Since my report is related to dates there are very few metrics. "Days" in this case is the only metric that pertains to the follow up visit occurring. It is the datediff calculated field. In order to make sense of the legend I will need to add another calculated field(metric) that I can pull into the charts. It will most likely be a case statement that adds a 1 if the follow up service date is not null, then I'll just aggregate the calculated field with count. I renamed Visit ID to Referral Visits in my table which now reflects in my charts but I have to add another metric just for the sake of renaming the other label. My table has quite a few fields already and I am concerned with performance.

After typing this I thought of a work around. Rather than change the heading in my table or add another metric to my table I had an idea to try the "Set Analysis" feature and see if that will let me add any name I wish. It does allow for a custom name. In the filter I just choose a field that will always have a value and set the condition to "Is Not Null" and for the other metric since I am counting follow up visits, I set the filter field to something that will be NULL if the follow up visit hasn't occurred and choose "Is Not Null". Lastly I set the aggregation type to count. I feel that the "Set Analysis" was created for more advanced chart capabilities but this is what I am currently using it for. :)

Replies (2)

photo

Hi Larry,

Thank you for reaching out. I'm sorry to say I am unsure what is meant by wanting a way to rename a series. These screenshots are of Metrics and Dimensions that can be renamed from the data section of the report builder. If you want to change what is displayed on the Legend, you can change the Display names of the corresponding Metrics and Dimensions ("Days" and "Visit ID") in the Column Formatting section, or from the Arrow next to the Calculated Field, in the Data tab. In the second paragraph you reference Set Analysis, but when you configure that, you choose how it's labeled and can subsequently edit/re-label that from there. Calculated Fields, Dimensions, Metrics, Set Analysis, etc., display labels are all configurable from the UI. I'm just taking some guesses here and giving some info on the points touched upon here, but if you can provide some more clarity on what you are trying to accomplish, I'd be happy to assist further.

Thanks,

Mike

photo

In the report, "Days" is a calculated field. It's the date difference of the referral visit and the follow up visit. If there hasn't been a follow up visit, then the value is NULL which displays blank in the table. In the chart, I can simply choose to aggregate this field and use the aggregation label option which is fine for SUM, AVERAGE, MIN and MAX. That makes sense, Average "Days", Sum "Days", etc. If I choose COUNT as the aggregate that would be the "Count of Follow Up Visits". In most cases COUNT aggregation changes the definition. A count of dollar amounts probably means that is the number of transactions but if the column is named "Amount" then in order for it to look correct in the chart the report writer would have to create another field in the report called transaction so that the chart label will say "Transaction". I'm just asking for the ability to rename the label that appears in the legend so that it makes sense. If I want to change the label I have to do extra steps instead of choosing settings and simply renaming it for the chart's purpose only. Since I can't rename "Visit ID" or "Days" for just the purpose of the chart I have to create another field or set analyis in the report to handle this.

photo

Hi Larry,

If you do an aggregation, you don't have to keep phrases like Sum Days, or Average Days, or Count of Follow Up Visits. You'd just click the arrow next to the aggregated Metric, click 'Format' > 'Edit':

81eeac87bc301bdf8a3e64b0eeea35fa

Then change 'Display' to whatever you'd like:

ca4808c2aacdd11fbb6f445fe164a811

In my example below, I added the Athletes Dimension from our Ski Team Tutorial data, to a chart, then went back into the Data tab to change the Display label from "Athletes" to "A Name I'm Choosing":

3186cd988de53ff457f19969a364119aDoes this help?

Thanks,

Mike

photo

You're actually making my point but you're not getting what I am saying. I understand that I can change the name. That part is clear to me. It's where I'm changing the name that is creating additional work. Again, changing the name in the "DATA" section is not a logical option for me. My data table displays number of days. You don't have to understand my report to understand what I am doing here. I am simply counting a metric that is either null or numeric. My chart counts(Days) if "Days" is null it doesn't get counted so in other words the client never had a "Follow up Visit". The "DATA" table displays "Days" and rightfully so. The label on the chart displays "Days" or at best I can make it display "Count Days". That is incorrect. The count of days are "Follow up Visits" or "Follow ups" or anything but days. Applying the count operand to this field changes the measure in the "Chart" only. If I change the "Days" column in the "Data" section to "Follow up Visits" or something like that then the "Data" section will be incorrect because it measures the number of days between visits. In order to achieve what I want I have to create a separate column just for the chart. Rather than do all of this just add my Chart Series enhancement below. I'm willing to bet that other people are creating hidden fields for this very reason.

1. Current table. 760e47b27b94c4f31758ac6534d09708

Results in this chart. Notice the Vertical Axis displays days.

ee96571b01c0ae80e4c4fa51cbdf06d5

2. In order to simply have another name for the label, I've created a calculated field(Follow up Visits) which probably results in a performance loss.b536baae783eddfcf7322d5f3b785998

But at least my chart makes sense and doesn't get confused.4dfdb5f5ba680ecc30ac2dd34c9784e2

Here it is. The...

ENHANCEMENT

bf272c68caf0662640b31d752213f209

Skip all that extra work and rename the "Days" in the "Chart" section.

e2cca968ee13fc17ab18d90fdad5a90e

photo
photo

Hi Larry,

I've gone ahead and logged an enhancement request to create a Display option in the Chart Series section. This is being tracked under 10091 in our internal tracking system. Thank you for your idea. Any potential updates regarding this enhancement request will be posted in here.

Regards,

Mike

Leave a Comment

Attach a file