Storyboard Filters

Gawie Herbst shared this idea 6 years ago
Idea Logged

Hi,

We have some questions regarding the export functionality on the storyboard.

When we select the necessary global filters on the title slide (1st slide) and page through the slides whilst waiting for the graphs/tables to load, then export, the filters work perfectly and graphs are accurate.

Unfortunately, if we just select the necessary filters on the first page and then immediately export without going through each slide, some of the tables/graphs do not pick up the filters and display unfiltered information .

I have noticed that this seems to apply to those tables/charts that take slightly longer to load in report mode. Is this related ? Do you have any suggestions on how to avoid this?

Regards,

Gawie Herbst

Replies (8)

photo

Hi Gawie,

Thank you for reaching out. I'm able to replicate what you're seeing. If I create a Storyboard and setup Global Filters, then run those filters and export immediately, I see my default unfiltered values. However, by the time I go back to the storyboard to export again, the filter's are applied. Basically, it's not going through the slides that are enabling the filters to be activated, it's just that going through the filters is running out the clock for the time necessary to run those reports with the applied filters. If you were to open an individual report that has a long load time (say, 10 seconds) and applied filters, you wouldn't be able to export that report with the filters applied until the loading process from the database is complete, so the same concept applies here essentially - larger datasets take a longer time to load and if you export before that process is finished, you will be exporting unfiltered results. Unfortunately, there isn't much to do here except wait it out.

However, I did come up with an idea that could be helpful here: I could put forth as an enhancement request to create some sort of indicator that the Storyboard is ready for exporting, as at this current time you either have to go through the slides, or guess, that all of the reports in the Storyboard are filtered and done loading before clicking Export. Let me know if this is an Idea you'd be interested in, then I could go ahead and create that enhancement request.

Thanks,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply. Does this mean that yellowfin first executes the reports on the data source without filters and only then filter the data in memory? What I am unsure of is why is there data available when exporting and why is the filter not applied. It seems like Yellowfin executes the reports without filters and creates a PDF document – why is the filter not applied before first execution?

Please go ahead and log an enhancement request? Another option would be to disable the export button until all of the reports are executed.

Regards,

gawie_herbst

linkedin_2016

yellowfin_logo_2017

progress_partner_logo_2017

aigs_logo_2017

Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 7:06 PM

To: Gawie Herbst <gawieh@aigs.co.za>

Subject: Re: Storyboard Filters [#7488]

photo

Hi Gawie,

When you first drag in a report into the Storyboard, the report loads and then I believe caches those values. I tested this by adding a new report to my Storyboard and noticed that when a report is dragged in and is loading for the first time, clicking Export doesn't actually start and complete the Export process until after the report is loaded, so I believe this to be correct. When you apply a filter to your Storyboard, the reports then have to re-run, so if you Export before that process is finished, it just Exports the initial values as determined when you first drag in the report, if that makes sense. Hopefully this clears things up a bit.

On the note of the enhancement request, I've added your suggestion into the enhancement request I created. I've also gone ahead and moved this from a ticket to an Idea, so I could log it properly. Any updates regarding this matter will be posted in this thread. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Gawie Herbst

On 20 Feb 2018, at 23:00, Yellowfin Support <support@yellowfin.bi> wrote:

photo

Hi Gawie,

You are welcome!

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi Gawie,

Storyboards have been deprecated for some time now. Are you finding that this you'd like to see this feature in Stories?

Kind regards,

Chris

photo

Hi Chris,

Hope you are well.

It seems as though Gawie requested this to be an enhancement. Just not sure of the ticket ID for that enhancement that Mike created.

Kind regards,

Mikayla

photo

Hi Mikayla,

I'm good thanks and I hope you are too :)

Yep, it is an enhancement request. It's just that in Yellowfin 9, Storyboards were replaced with Stories but it seems the behaviour is the same so we can leave this open.

Kind regards,

Chris

Leave a Comment

Attach a file