Smart reporting login user as a filter

Mohammad Rehman shared this idea 7 years ago
Completed

Hello Experts,

we have a requirements to display the incidents where the assignee is current smart reporting login user.

another report where login user is member of assigned group.

I don't see any option in smart report where i can use the filter where report column value matches with the current login user or report column assigned group where login user is member of the group?

TIA

Mohammad

Best Answer
photo

Hi Mohammad,

it's Expert Dave here! Unfortunately at the moment your required functionality is not implemented. I have searched through our existing Enhancement Requests and found that one has already been raised (122405) for said functionality, so I have linked your current Community Idea to that existing Enhancement Request.

regards,

David

Replies (7)

photo

Hi Mohammad,

it's Expert Dave here! Unfortunately at the moment your required functionality is not implemented. I have searched through our existing Enhancement Requests and found that one has already been raised (122405) for said functionality, so I have linked your current Community Idea to that existing Enhancement Request.

regards,

David

photo

Hi David -

I see this is from 1 year ago, and didn't see a resolution from the RFE. Is this function available for BMC SmartReporting 9.1.3? We need to Filter reports with Logged In User UserID. Thanks !!

Rick Sharp

photo

Hi Rick,

that particular enhancement request hasn't been implemented yet, however, I would really like to be certain that we are not talking at cross purposes here, so could you please give me a more detailed description of what you would like to be able to do.

thanks,

David

photo

We need to run a BMC SmartReporting 9.1.3 report and display information based on their LoginID from Remedy. For example, I log into BMC Remedy as "sharprw", launch SmartReporting, and select a Dashboard that has a report. The report needs to return records for LoginID = "sharprw".

We have a report that users will run to show Approvals pending for their LoginID.

As a workaround, we have a Filter InTheList, they use to select their LoginID from, and that works. But we'd like it to be automatic when they run the report.

Make better sense?

photo

Hi Rick,

thanks for the description and apologies for the delay in responding, what with christmas and everything!

From what you have described it sounds like Yellowfin's feature called "Access Filters" (a.k.a "Source Filters") should meet your requirements.

Please have a read of the above linked documentation from our wiki and let me know what you think.

regards,

David

photo

Hi Rick,

I'm looking to do the same exact thing, have you been able to do this?

Dave - are you able provide any additional insight? We are using access filters, but I need to perform the same task as Rick and don't see how this will work.

Regards,

John

photo

No, we are telling the users to select the "UserID(s)" to use for Filtering the report. It works, but it would be better if the report ran using their UserID as an automated filter.

Rick

photo
photo

Hi Rick,

I'm still concerned that we might be talking about different things because Yellowfin's Access Filter feature is automatic - you don't have to get users to manually select their UserID to filter their report, it's all automatic, it's taken from the login.

I've attached a short video to show you an example of how it works.

Please let me know if it shows what you are talking about or not.

regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

We are using source filters to automatically filter cases but I have the same need as Rick. For example, we have case owners and case team members where a user can be either a team member or owner. If we want the owner to see a report of only the cases where he/she is the case owner, we have to direct them to use a filter and they select their name. Does YF have a way to set a filter similar to SharePoint where we could set the filter of a field to something like 'Is Me' so that it uses the login ID of the user to filter records. I hope that's more clear.

Regards,

John

photo

And hi to John,

regarding your question, when you say you need to perform the same task as Rick, if you just mean that the report data will be filtered automatically going by the userID then as I told Rick, Yellowfin already has this feature, and please watch the same video I uploaded for Rick and let me know if that is what you are looking for.

regards,

David

photo

Hi Dave,

I did watch the video and we are using that feature to allow visibility to records based off of source filters. Using your video as example, lets say that the user has access to all of North America records and each record has a creator. If we wanted a report to show all records created by the author that is logged in, the only way I can see how to do this is by having the user select an author from the list rather than the report default to the logged in author. Does that make sense?

Regards,

John

photo

Hi John,

thanks for the further example, and it does make sense. But the thing is, in your example it is once again the Access Filter feature that would do the job for you. For example, if you made an Access Filter rule for the column "Author" that Fred Citizen is only allowed to see records where Author = 'Fred.Citizen' (and Joe Bloggs can only see records where Author = 'Joe.Bloggs' etc.) then that would automatically restrict the user to only see their own records.

That video example is the same sort of thing except that the user 'user_NorthAmerica@yellowfin.com.au' is only allowed to see records where the column Region = 'North America', and the user called 'user_Europe@yellowfin.com.au' is only allowed to see records where Region = 'Europe'.

If you would like, I could arrange it so that one of our consultants in the U.S.A could have a session with you to demonstrate this, just tell me who your account manager is and I'll contact them right away.

thanks,

David

photo

Hi Dave, a user asked a question about adding username to the report. I'm guessing that when a report is printed, they want to know who printed the report. I suggested using access filters and then punch it in with a parameter replacement. Could you look at the below link and let me know if what I said is feasible or complete bs? :-)

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/topic/is-it-possible-to-show-current-login-username-on-a-report

photo

Hi there Larry,

wow, that was a great idea you had! Very creative of you indeed!

I tried it out and it seems to work for me just fine.

I've attached a short video so you can see your solution in action.

Thanks very much for you input, I'm sure there will be some users out there who will benefit from your generous input.

regards,

David

photo

Awesome! I'm glad it worked! If you set the operand on the filter "identifier" to Equal To, you shouldn't need to click on it to run the report. I wonder if at that point if it could be hidden and still output the data? I don't it would but I'm shocked most of all that I could theorize a report and it would actually work! Speaks volumes to YellowfinBI's capabilities.

photo

Au contraire mon ami.....speaks volumes about your capabilities!!

thanks for your contribution.

regards,

David

photo
photo

And Mohammad, if you are still out there and reading Yellowfin Community posts, I realise that to be thorough and cover all bases I should tell you of a workaround you can use in place of being able to assign Access Filter rules to whole User Groups, you can also use the Client Reference IDs of Client Orgs to automatically filter report data. So instead of assigning a group of people to a particular User Group for the purpose of filtering their data, you could assign them to a particular Client Org and they would all see the same restricted data.

I know that this is not exactly the same thing as being able to create an Access Filter rule for a User Group, but as I said, it is a workaround - an alternative process of achieving a similar goal.

regards,

David

photo

Hi Dave,

Sorry, I was away and could not follow the thread. I will go over the discussion. I do see the fellow members are part of BMC communities and looking the similar solution. For a reference BMC call YellowFin BI, Smart Reporting and they have some of the features disabled which make it difficult sometime to get the reports done.It would be night mare to split the users for large organization to support group level mapping with Client Orgs. I believe we need to create the Idea with BMC to work with YellowFin team to come up with a solution which fulfill the BMC row level access model filtering.

Regards,

Mohammad

photo

Hi Mohammad,

yes I was aware that it mightn't be a practical solution, but I felt it was my duty to mention it anyway.

I am in agreement with you about the best way to go about this, definitely create the Idea with BMC to work with Yellowfin to come up with the solution, you can imagine that BMC requests take a high priority with us.

regards,

David

photo
photo

Hi, this is marked as Complete but I don't see the solution. How do I filter a report or dashboard for the ID of the user that is viewing that report or dashboard? I can't find a way to get the current user's information to tie it into a filter, or to even create an object in the view that can grab this information for use.

photo

Hey Jess,

I hope you are well and had a lovely weekend!

From the sounds of it, it seems as though you are looking to use an Access Filter - please read through our yellowfin Wiki page linked here on restricting data with Access Filters -

This will act as an automatic filter based of the reference ID's provided...for example, a user will only see the data in the report that the access filter allows, and they will not be able to view other data. To be more specific, if a user is from Europe, and you only want them to see data based on stores from Europe, then you will set up an access filter based on regions, the user will not be able to see data from any other region.

But please read the wiki page linked above as it will provide more detail on this :)

Let me know if this is what you are looking for !

Best Wishes,

Lesley

Leave a Comment

Attach a file