SMTP Authentication Failed

Chris Lindley shared this question 7 years ago
Answered

Hi,

We are using YF Version 7.2, Build 20170202. We have recently setup a mail service through Amazon SES and I am trying to setup YF Outgoing Mail Server settings.

SMTP Server : Server name

SMTP Port: 25, 587,2587 (tried all these ports but get same issue)

SMTP Authentication: On

User Name: ********

Password: ****

Confirm Password:****

Encryption: STARTTLS

Allow Invalid Certificate: ON

Test result shows

SMTP Authentication failed

javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException:535 Authentication Credentials Invalid

The same setting in our mail clients and apps is working correctly.

Can you please help?

Thanks

Daniel

Replies (4)

photo

Hi Daniel,

I hope all is well,

Having researched this a bit further I can see the following:

Your SMTP user name and password are not the same as your AWS access key ID and secret access key. Do not attempt to use your AWS credentials to authenticate yourself against the SMTP endpoint. For more information about credentials, see Using Credentials With Amazon SES.

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/ses/latest/DeveloperGuide/smtp-credentials.html

NOTE: The credentials have to be url encoded and then provided in the configuration.

If the above is irrelevant to what you are experiencing please do not hesitate to get back to me so I can assist where I can to resolve this issue. I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Mark,

We are not using our AWS access key ID and secret access key to authenticate to the SMTP endpoint.

As you can see from my first post I have setup Outlook on our machines and SMTP is working. But YF setup is not. :(

I have tried starting and stopping the YF instance to see if that made any difference but the problem persists.

Regards,

Daniel

photo

Hi Mark,

Mahe was able to help us out. The password was not getting saved and we had to delete the password from the YF DB Configuration table in the corresponding field manually and then set it again from YF. That solved the problem.

Regards,

Daniel

photo

Hi Chris,

Thank you for getting back to me with the news of this. I am pleased all is well. Unfortunately timezone differences resulted in me not being able to get back until now. With this I am happy Mahe stepped in and resolved this issue for you.

I will now go ahead and close this case.

Regards,

Mark

Leave a Comment

Attach a file