Development Servers - Broadcasting - Getting around the Licence Breach

David Fear shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

We rsync our production Enterprise Linux/CentOS servers, which host Yellowfin also (Apache Tomcat/MySQL) to Test environment(s).

Upon sync, of course Yellowfin's licence is then 'breached' on said test environment(s) as the server names are now different to the licence. This is fine - we expect it to breach.

However, Yellowfin will still broadcast from said test server, even though the licence is breached. The existing ConfigCode = SMTP setting is still set to 'localhost' after rsync, and the broadcast scheduler still runs and distributes reports from the test server(s). This is our issue where users are receiving scheduled emails from Production, and (sometimes out of date) Test environments.

Our workaround is to use the MySQL command as follows to reset the Test environment field yellowfin.Configuration.ConfigCode to 'xxxxx' -- (it was 'localhost' on the production server)

use yellowfin; update Configuration set ConfigData = 'xxxxx' where ConfigCode = 'SMTP';

Our fix is a temporary workaround but I was wondering a) if you're aware of the breach as per above, and b) if you'd like to secure yellowfin broadcasts to first rely on checking if the licence is valid before running the scheduled broadcasts, and if invalid, don't distribute reports. =)

Replies (3)

photo

Hi David,

this is a good example of the saying "you can't please everyone" because years ago a client asked for the task scheduler to keep working even if the licence breached because it wasn't fair if the licence ran out over the weekend (or while the administrator was ill etc.) and important clients stopped receiving their brodacasts.

I'm just wondering whether you are aware that you can turn off the task scheduler in your test environment by inserting the following to the MIStartup block of <yellowfin>\appserver\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\web.xml. And can you then configure rsync to not sync the web.xml from production to test?

regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

I'm just cleaning up my work list and I noticed this Question is still marked as "Awaiting Reply" and I also noticed that I missed actually pasting in the example of the code block to add to the MIStartup block of the web.xml file to disable the task scheduler, so here it is now:

<init-param> 
      <param-name>DisableTaskScheduler</param-name> 
      <param-value>TRUE</param-value> 
</init-param>

Do you think you will use this approach?

regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

just wondering how you got on with this and whether you would like this Question closed now?

regards,

David

Leave a Comment

Attach a file