Combining more than two columns using Advanced Functions

Nick Hudson shared this question 7 years ago
Answered

Hi there,

I've noticed some functionality around the Concatenate Columns option for Advanced Functions that I was hoping you would be able to shed light on.

On Yellowfin 7.1 (build 20160524), it is possible to use sequence the Concatenate function so that three fields are combined. e.g. "Column A" has an Advanced Function->Concatenate Columns to show "Column B". "Column C" has an Advanced Function->Concatenate Columns to show "Addition of Column to Column A".

The end result is that Column C will show the contents of all three columns (order is not important).

In older versions of Yellowfin 7.1 (possibly 20160111 or 20160128), this functionality is different - and will only show the concatenate of Column C and Column A, dropping the contents of Column B.

I can't seem to find any reference to a fix to this in the changelog. Can you please let me know which build the fix for this occurred in?

Thanks,

Replies (1)

photo

Hi Nick,

Thanks for sending in the question. I did some testing on this using 7.1 and 7.2 (the 20160524 builds) and in both cases my results were the same. Concatenate successfully merged all three columns.

/CADwJvpAgOj0gQAQjT4QIDp9IABEow8EiE4fCADR6AMBotMHAkA0+kCA6PSBABCNvT5AdPpAAIjGXh8gOn0gAERjrw8QnT4QAKL5H434AKVF2fb9AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

4737b938141d5fff95b1d82f8ca34adc

So unless I am missing something here, I think what you were running into is a bug that has since been fixed.

Anyway, I hope this information has been helpful. Feel free to let me know if I have misunderstood your scenario. Have a great rest of your day!

Kind Regards,

Dustin

photo

Thanks for your reply Dustin.

I'm trying to establish which build version this bug was fixed in, as the change logs for each build version since the one affected don't seem to have any updates that relate to this issue.

Thanks,

photo

Hi Nick,

I did some further testing in 7.1 (20160128, 20151209, and 20150922) and unfortunately I was unable to replicate what you have described in your original post. When I concatenate, all three of my columns appear as expected.

The only thing I can think of offhand is that you mentioned experiencing this in an odd build - 20160111 - which seems to indicate you were running on some sort of interim build. If this was the case at the time, interim builds don't undergo regression testing as they aren't considered official releases. Sometimes oddball bugs can pop up in them.

I'm not sure if this explains this one away, but it's the only theory I have currently considering I haven't been able to replicate this.

Anyway, let me know what you think here. I look forward to hearing back.

Kind Regards,

Dustin

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file