New web services for content retrieval

Jonathan Allen shared this idea 6 years ago
Idea Logged

This request is for additional endpoints for report, view, and dashboard tab retrieval.

Return objects by:

-Tag(s)

-Content folder

-Search criteria

For example, would like to be able to return all items a user has permission to view that are tagged "Financials". Similarly, have an endpoint to land a user directly into a specified content folder. Finally, be able to pass search criteria to land a user at a results list. Ideally these could be combined:

Return all items a user has permission to view that are tagged "Financials" that are reports in the "Standard Reports" content folder and apply the search criteria "Quarterly"

Replies (2)

photo

Hi Jonathan,

there's a way to do this now - you use the web service function called METADATASQLQUERY to query the Yellowfin table called ContentTag for the tag, the table called ContentManagement for the content folder, and the ReportHeader table for the search criteria.

I've attached an example of how to use the METADATASQLQUERY function, please take note of the 2 parameters documented at the top of the file to be added to your web.xml file.

I can still create an enhancement request for you if you'd like, however, if the above method does the job for you then you won't have to wait months for the request to be implemented.

Please let me know what you think.

regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

Does this web services call just run a straight query and return all results or does it restrict results to those the user has access to like the other report retrieval commands?

I certainly still think there is value in having these implemented as proper web services endpoints. For example, adding a search endpoint that utilizes YF's internal search algorithms rather than relying only on our own SQL. While the YF search may be simple now (I don't know the details), if you improve upon it in the future the endpoint will improve with it. Similarly, if something in the config db changes related to folders or tags in a future version, we would have to update our integrations accordingly.

Thanks,

Jon

photo
photo

Hi Jonathan,

yes, that web services call just runs a straight query and returns all results. So it can be a very helpful call to be aware of, although you've got to know how Yellowfin uses the tables and unfortunately we don't have any good current documentation on this, however you can always ask us!

I've gone ahead and raised an internal enhancement request for your Idea, its reference ID is YFN-9275.

Thanks for your input.

regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

A second ask we would have related to this would be client URL endpoints for the same things. For example, can a user be dropped into a content folder listing directly in YF? Similarly, reports by tag or search results. After thinking about it more I think this functionality might even be more useful for us than the web services approach. Is this already possible? If not, can an idea be logged for that functionality as well?

photo

To clarify: I just mean land the user in browse mode but already with a specific category folder (or tag) selected. Right now I believe the only option is to bring the user to the browse all page with "All" selected in the "By Folder" navigation on the left. Is there a way to link a user directly to a specific tag listing, content folder, or search result listing via URL endpoint currently? If not, this is the idea I would like to request.

photo

if a user was restricted to a specific folder(s) via folder security then that would be the only folder they see in their Browse screen, does that meet your requirement?

photo

Hi Jonathan,

I have gone ahead and raised an internal enhancement request (YFN-9278) for your idea of landing a user in the Browse screen with specific tag/folder/search results.

Thanks for your input, keep up the good ideas!

regards,

David

photo

Great, thanks David. Regarding your suggestion around restricting via folder - that is too limiting for our use case. Our users will likely have access to quite a few folders, but we want to be able to land a user in the correct folder from an external link. The "Browse All" landing is a bit overwhelming if someone doesn't know where to find the report they are looking for.

photo

yes, I did suspect a scenario like that, but nevertheless felt that it should be mentioned it anyway.

regards,

David

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file