filter on multiple lines chart

May Cai shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

I came across this tutorial on Youtube about using brushing to filter data, and one observation trigger a question that I have been really wanting to ask.

LINK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW1i61lxiME

Question:

The top scatter plot's brushing selection will update the lower two plots. I want to know how can the athlete spending chart be able to be updated according to the top graph? Because the data structures should be different in these two graphs. The top graph should has "adventure, family, luxury, sport, relaxation" as a single column named demographic. That is being set under color. However, the athlete spending chart must have these demographic information as 6 individuals columns in order to have a stacked line chart.

AKA: how to filter the Athlete Spending base on your selection of demographic( either adventure, culture, family, luxury, relaxation, or sport). I want to be able to choose which one of these to be displayed. 3c2d37caea592eb4bc37a884d0e09400

Replies (2)

photo

Hi May,

In this case, brushing is narrowing down the two metrics on the x and y axis. These are then passed to the Athlete spending fields as filters, so even though some of these fields are not directly used, the filter will still be applied.

If you are interested in exactly how this is done, I suggest browsing for this dashboard "Analysis" which is included in the tutorial content, and editing it manually to see exactly how the links are done.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Thank you! Do you mind give me link of the dashboard "analysis" in the tutorial content?

photo

Hi May,

If you did not select to include the tutorial package on install, then you will need to create a new data source and view out of the content.

Both the .data datasource file and the .xml import file can found in yourYFInstallFolder/tutorialdata folder.

If not you can always install a new local copy of YF and include the tutorial data to use as a test instance. Let me know if this makes sense.

Regards,

Nathan

photo
photo

I am going to close this for now, but let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Regards,

Nathan

Leave a Comment

Attach a file