Axis tick numbers not formatted

Kevin Remmert shared this problem 6 years ago
Resolved

I have some scatter charts where my Y-axis corresponds with a percentage column. Chart looks great except that the numbers on my chart-axis are showing decimal values (e.g. .01) and not the % format I specified on my column (e.g. 10%). The chart's data table is formatted correctly to show the same column with the format I desire. How can I change my axis to display the same number format as my corresponding data column?

Replies (1)

photo

Hi Kevin,

It sounds like you are using the percentage formatter at the report level, which is then not applied at the chart level?

I would recommend instead creating a calculated field to multiply this value * 100 and add the "%" prefix in the chart formatting menu. Generally report formatters will only apply to certain areas in the chart builder as they are a post processing effect that essentially converts this field into a string which in turn cannot be used for functions that require numeric fields such as a charts axis.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Nathan,

Totally makes sense what you're describing. Can you suggest where in the chart formatting menu that I can put the "%" suffix? I tried changing my number format on my calculated field to not use the percentage report formatter. Only place I found to enter a "%" suffix was onin the same place: on my calculated field in the Data tab. Changing it there had largely the same effect as specifying the percentage report formatter. That is I have no % label on the ticks. I do however have the correct magnitude I desire on my ticks by multiplying by 100.

Thanks,

Kevin

photo

Hi Kevin,

It seems this setting is only available on certain chart types. I was able to find it on the column chart but not have tried many others. The Auto chart does not allow this:

fd02cd02ca241ee71b7d01dd765a6cc5

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Autochart was the problem. Changed the chart type to Scatter and all of the missing formatting options we desired appered. Thanks a bunch Nathan! This is a big relief.

photo

No problem, glad you got it working!

Nathan

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file