Ability to define Nested Predefined functions at Report Level

Abhijeet Teli shared this idea 6 years ago
Not Planned

Hi Team,

Currently we are not allowed to define nested functions when defined in Predefined Section at Report level,

Eg;

I have created one predefined Calculated field "Current Date" which just gives me Current System date. Now if i wish to apply another predefined date part function like "Week" to fetch only week number from current date then formula builder wont allow me to use existing calculated field created at report level.

/H4ea4id7j1TeAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

To achieve such use cases we need to create all inner predefined fields at View level and check calculation access on then i can use this field inside other predefined function.

Ideally nesting functions are mostly supported from database end hence we should have ability to leverage same at Report level as well,

Normally Report writer do not get View modification access hence they are not able to achieve such use cases at report level.

Please check at your end and let us know.

Thanks,

Abhijeet

Replies (2)

photo

Hi Abhijeet,

That is definately how YF works, and there are no plans to change this as yet, however we think what you're after may be done in another way if we can better understanding exactly what you're trying to achieve here.

E.g. There is usually a DB function to return current week number. So you can just create a single calc field at the view, and no need to apply any other functions to it.

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi David,

Week is just an example. There are many such use cases it's a generic Enhancement we are looking for, Only concern here is this is allowed in view builder and not in report builder and because report writers (who don't have view modification rights) gets stuck while creating some calculated fields,

Any specific reason why it has been blocked at Report layer ?

Thx,

Abhijeet

photo

Hi Abhijeet,

It's really just how the underlying architecture was built. There is always a way to implement things, though it's always a toss up between effort vs requirement. As of today we have not seen a need for this requirement, as there is always a way to get everything you want from the 1 formula, so it's more of an education issue, not product.

Having the ability to use calc within calc at the report level is no small task.

At this point in time it's not something that is planned, though if you have another use case where it all cannot be done within the one calc field, please let us know and we can re-review.

Thanks,

David

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file