Ability to use dimensions for colour in stacked column charts

Jonathan Allen shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

Stacked column charts expect a metric value for the "Colour" field. It would be very useful to have the ability to use dimensions here. There is a discrepancy in behavior since this is possible when using an "Auto Chart", but not when using a Stacked Vertical Column chart directly. For example, see attached AutoChart.png and StackedVertChart.png. The auto chart version is missing some formatting options and axis settings, so it is not fully functional.

It is possible to create a stacked vertical chart if the source table is a crosstab report, but that is very limiting. We do not want to always create a crosstab in order to have a stacked column/bar chart.

Replies (2)

photo

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the detailed info.

I think what you're after is already possible with a Trellis chart.. secretly this is what 'Auto Charts' are usually based off.

See screens below as example:

0daf613a918263260353c26bd419c472

a25a883d961e97652d1b589ccb29752a

Hope this covers what you're after, and if not, please let me know.

Thanks,

David

photo

Thanks David - yep that was what I was looking for! Didn't realize it was a Trellis chart that Auto Chart was making.

photo

No problems at all, yeah you wouldn't usually pick it up unless someone told you.

Thanks for the feedback in any case :)

Regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

I understand that Trellis chart is useful to display Stacked column charts, however, Trellis and Auto chart version is missing label option which very crucial for our requirement. Is there a way we can display the labels on Trellis chart.

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Sumit K

photo

Not as yet Sumit, your best option is to use a JS chart.

In saying this, tooltips/labels are something that will be revisited in the future.

Thanks,

David

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file