Ability to plot lines vs metrics (numeric)

Jonathan Allen shared this idea 6 years ago
Not Planned

As far as I can tell, there is currently no way to plot a line vs a metric value in Yellowfin. Yellowfin automatically treats the x-axis as a category axis whether the value is a metric or a dimension. It would be great to have the option to treat the axis as either a metric or a dimension if the value used is a metric.

Alternatively, scatter charts do allow the user to create a graph against a numeric x-axis, but there is no option to add a line between points. In lieu of adding an axis option to line charts, there could instead be additional formatting options in scatter charts to allow users to add a line between points and disable data point shapes.

Replies (2)

photo

Hi Jonathan,

Hope you had a good weekend.

I'm having some trouble understanding exactly how you want the chart to treat your data, and the sort of data you're dealing with.

I think if I have that info I can better make some suggestions/raise an enhancement.

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi David,

Sure here's an example. In this sample data set I have a "Relative Day" value (x-axis) vs a "Count" (y-axis). My "Relative Day" is a numeric value and not all values have a record in the data set (Data.png). When I plot this as a Line Graph, the x-axis is treated as a Category axis and the values are evenly spaced rather than being spaced according to their relative numeric value. See the screenshot attached called Line Graph.png where I have marked where the same distance on the x-axis represents 1 day and 8 days depending on the source data.

Plotting the same data as a Scatter plot fixes the x-axis issue, but then there is no option to connect the points with a line (Scatter.png). Let me know if this is still not clear.

photo

Hi Jonathan,

Going to get back to you next week on this one, sorry for the delays.

Regards,

David

photo

Thanks for the extra info Jonathan,

I think the easiest way around this is to simply add some blank rows for the missing days. E.g. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 .

This way your axis will always be correctly spaced.

We do this automatically with dates, but not metrics, as you're correct, they are treated like dimensions on this access.

I wonder if there was a better way to plot your data?

Are you able to tell me what exactly you're trying to achieve and how the raw data is stored in the DB?

I can switch this to a private ticket if sensitive data is involved.

Thanks,

David

photo

The source data is essentially the format I showed in Data.png. What would be the usual approach in YF for adding the extra blank rows? I am not able to modify the source data.

photo

Hi Jonathan,

Ok so in a bit of a pickle then.

There is most likely a way to do this via a virtual table, which entails creating a table with the number points, then joining to your current table, but it's based on your underlying data source, and may not be as straight forward.

What data source are you reporting off? Will see what info we can find out for you.

Thanks,

David

photo

Okay, I understand your idea about implementing via a virtual table. The way we are using YF doesn't allow me to modify the view, so in this case it sounds like I would need to wait for this to be implemented as a new feature either on Line Charts or on Scatter Charts.

photo

Well.. I just heard yesterday that we are discussing YF forms to insert data into tables.. so that's another possibility

But it's still early days.. so just need to wait and see what shakes out.

Sorry for the vagueness Jonathan!

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file