"Validate SQL" Only Once on Calculated Field window

Tal Mickel shared this idea 6 years ago
Idea Logged

Today, upon pressing "Validate" to check if there's an error or not, once we press on "Save" or "OK" button - it validates the field again! Agonizing. :)

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Tal,

there is actually a way to turn off the validation that occurs automatically when you click the Save button.

Just follow the instructions from the following Community Knowledge Base article:

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/turn-off-validation-of-calculated-fields-when-saving

and you will no longer get that 2nd unwanted validation!

regards,

David

photo

Hey Dave!

This is great however can be a bad idea since we want users to get the correct queries every time they create a calculated field.

However, we have a better idea, not sure if you guys will agree to that.

How about a process which saves an indicator that say "Validated already" and upon pressing "Save" - it will read the indicator and will just save.

If there will be no indicator, meaning the user didn't press "Validate" , it will validate the query before saving.

Bests

Dor & Tal

photo

Hi Tal,

yes, I can understand that you don't trust your users to remember to click the Validate button every time...sometimes they will forget and then perhaps save an invalid calculated field that will break a report.

OK, well your idea sounds good to me (I was only suggesting the VALIDCALCONSAVE idea because it is already implemented, much better than waiting for the product team to evaluate your Idea) so I have raised an internal enhancement request (YFN-8794), now let's see what the product team eventually decide...

regards,

David

photo

Awesome!

Thank you Dave :)

Bests,

Dor & Tal

photo
photo

you're welcome Tal!

regards,

David