Filter tables by schema in View editor

Ingo Klose shared this idea 8 years ago
Completed

Hi,

we are working a lot with schemas on the data base side and noticed a funny behavior in Yellowfin. If you have the same table name in two different schemas and your data source is opened up to see all schemas you see the tablename only once. And it is not possible to control from which schema the object should be taken.

What we would need now is the option to filter the table list by schema or be abel to control which schema is to be used in the table's properties.

Many thanks an best regards,

Ingo

Best Answer
photo

Hi Ingo,

The ability to show the schema where the table belongs is definitely a good idea.

While we do want to implement the feature, we have yet to allocate or plan this task, so cannot provide an ETA at this point in time.

Thanks for the feedback on this, as it does help us gauge how much demand there is for this within our YF community.

Regards,

David

Replies (3)

photo

Hi Ingo,

Thanks for submitting the idea!

This one has been submitted in the past (Task ID 168745) and is functionality that we would like to implement in the future. We would like to include a mechanism that allows you to identify a schema name from within the view builder to avoid naming conflicts etc. Unfortunately this enhancement has yet to make it into our product road map, but I'm going to ping our product development team to give us an update to see when this idea might be implemented in the future.

As soon as we have some more information we will be sure to pass it on. Thanks!

Kind Regards,

Dustin

photo

Hi Ingo,

The ability to show the schema where the table belongs is definitely a good idea.

While we do want to implement the feature, we have yet to allocate or plan this task, so cannot provide an ETA at this point in time.

Thanks for the feedback on this, as it does help us gauge how much demand there is for this within our YF community.

Regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

There is a related incident I recently filed...basically YF chooses tables from whatever schema it feels like and it also mix and matches different schemas when veryfying and displaying things in the view editor.

Please get me an update on this idea and what problems can arise when no schema is attributed to a table.

Thanks,

Ingo

photo

Thanks Ingo, I can see you've raised a seperate ticket on this with some detailed info, so we will look a bit deeper into this for you and let you know how it all goes.

However from what I can see, it looks like the ability to display the schema next to table name was done back in 7.3 Sept release, though we never updated this idea. While you still cannot filter at the view builder (you can only filter at data source), it will show you at least which schema it came from.

To show the schema, hit the squiggly icon in the bottom left of the table selection:

96d0e87cac45bdc294834fe782915126

Does this give you what you"re after?

Regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

thanks for pointing out the feature...I would have never guessed what the icon was for. ;-)

But now I'm not sure if I need to raise another case or rather reopen the one. Because although according to the new feature I'am using the table from schema A...other parts of the view editor, e.g. getting the list of columns for the joins, general column checks etc. , where using a table of the same name in schema B. :-(

That could probably be fixed by setting the schema in the data source, but otherwise it is a behavior which is quite ugly.

Cheers,

Ingo

photo

Hi Ingo,

I'm unsure if there is anything that has not been addressed here, sorry if I've missed something. So just to confirm;

-You can filter tables via schema at the data source.

-You can see tables and the schema their from at the view level.

It sounds like you want a 2nd filter at the view level (considering there is a first at the data source level) to filter tables by schema.

Is that correct? If so I can modify this idea to cater for that, so no need to open any other requests.

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi Ingo,

I hope all is well,

Mark here from the EMEA Support Team. I am going through some of our "old" tickets that we have within the Yellowfin Enhancement bucket, of which I came across this request. Having looked at this further I believe this may have been resolved in 9.8;

"Resolved an issue where columns from different schemas were returned on some versions of MySQL"

I could be wrong... However, with this, I want to question where we stand from your end? Is this still something that is currently an issue at your end? I guess this depends on what version you are currently running. If you could let me know that would be great.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Ingo,

I hope all is well,

I just want to touch base to see if you had chance to read through my recently updated comments. If you can get back to me that would be great.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Ingo,

I hope all is well and I hope you had a great weekend.

I am going to mark this as Completed, however if you need to discuss this further, I would be more than happy to do so.

Have a great week ahead :-)

Regards,

Mark

photo
Leave a Comment

Attach a file