Updating a User's Local Timezone, What Does is Affect?

Whit shared this question 8 years ago
Answered

Hi All,

If a user's timezone is updated, is that only reflected in fields where the data conversion Timezone is added, or does this change affect other things in the system?

What we have are a ton of users where the local timezones are all GMT. We would like to add an option to our integration where the user admin can set this field, then when we apply the data conversion for timezones to specific fields, those fields would be updated. What we are hoping to avoid is having this change reflected in places that we were not aware of.

The wiki does make it sound like scheduling would be affected. Does that mean that any new broadcasts would have a time reflective of the user's local timezone? Would broadcasts created by that user in the past change their run times based on the local timezone change?

Thanks for any tips!

Best Answer
photo

Dustin, you are correct.

Changing a user's time zone has no effect on schedules.

When broadcasts/filters/reports are scheduled, it will default to the timezone used for the data source, but you can choose 'advanced' and set a different timezone.

E.g.

68ee3740d0ef01b225db1a05b718ccd0

Once the schedule is set, it's set and will not be updated unless you manually modify the schedule.

The other thing a time zone will affect is the pre-defined date period filters.

So if a user is using a date/time filter, e.g. 'Last Hour' .

Once his time zone changes, so will the 'Last Hour' value, even without having the Timezone converter applied.

Hope this clears up any confusion/concerns.

Regards,

David

Replies (3)

photo

Hi Whit,

Thanks for the question and apologies for the delay in responding!

Changing the user regional time zone settings is designed to function exactly like you intend...basically, when a time zone converter is used on a field, it will adjust to whatever regional time zone setting is set for that user.

I don't really think this should have any adverse effects in other areas of the product (broadcast timezone scheduling is actually scheduled on the broadcast itself) but I am going to go ahead and check with the team to be sure. As soon as I have some more information I will be sure to pass it on.

Kind Regards,

Dustin

photo

Dustin, you are correct.

Changing a user's time zone has no effect on schedules.

When broadcasts/filters/reports are scheduled, it will default to the timezone used for the data source, but you can choose 'advanced' and set a different timezone.

E.g.

68ee3740d0ef01b225db1a05b718ccd0

Once the schedule is set, it's set and will not be updated unless you manually modify the schedule.

The other thing a time zone will affect is the pre-defined date period filters.

So if a user is using a date/time filter, e.g. 'Last Hour' .

Once his time zone changes, so will the 'Last Hour' value, even without having the Timezone converter applied.

Hope this clears up any confusion/concerns.

Regards,

David

photo

Thanks, Dustin and David! This is a great help.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file