Previous Month in Chart Header

Kenneth Jones shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

I am building a chart that shows monthly data. It runs on Oct. 1 and shows September data and I would like it to show September in the header. Is there a way to do this?

Replies (5)

photo

Hi Kenneth,

Can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by header here, perhaps with a screenshot?

Regards,

Nathan

photo

I attached a file with the details. let me know if you have more questions.

photo

Hi Kenneth,

Dynamic report titles like this are really only possible with JavaScript charts. Are you on 7.3+?

If so you could do something like:

var monthNames = ["January", "February", "March", "April", "May", "June",   "July", "August", "September", "October", "November", "December" ]; 
var d = new Date(); 
$chartDiv.append(monthNames[d.getMonth()-1]);
Otherwise, this will not be possible.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Regards,

Nathan

photo

I am using YellowFin from I-Sight. How do I check the version of YellowFin.

photo

Hi Kenneth,

If you are using Yellowfin through another provider, then chances are they will not allow you to use JS charts, as this could be quite the security risk in the wrong hands. I would get in touch with them directly and see if this is something they will allow, or help you out with.

Nathan

photo

Ok, one other question. Same report, how do you control the with of the bar columns and the labels under them? My bars are to thin and there is too much space between them. The labels are also not centered. When I done the auto chart everything looked good.

photo

Hi Kenneth,

This should all be in the chart formatting menu. Typically the "style" will be set to default, and when you switch this to manual, the other options will appear.

Let me know if you still cant find it an ill put together a screen-shot.

Nathan

photo

I attached the screen shot. Can't find the option.

photo

Hi Kenneth,

This setting can be found within the axis formatting menu.

be51b99b1608badafb0ff3008ce34187

Nathan

photo

Yep, I have all that set correctly. Two of my columns are centered correctly and the other three are not.

photo

I see what it is doing. It is showing the zero records on the chart. Is there a way to exclude them?

photo

Hi Kenneth,

If you dont want this data to display I would recommend excluding these through a filter within the data tab.

Nathan

photo

I attached a file, see how it is including the zero records in the chart.

photo

Hi Kenneth,

Unfortunately this will be a bit difficult. In most cases, 0 values are legitimate data points so people will want this to display. Maybe rather than a normal column chart, you can use a stacked column chart, so that 0 values are not visible?

Nathan

photo
photo

Ok, Thanks for the help!

photo

No problem! Let me know if you run into any problems.

Leave a Comment

Attach a file