Lock Header of reports

YangyangCai shared this question 7 years ago
Answered

Hi Team,

Some of our clients ask for locking headers of Dashboard reports in order to make the reports readable when we scoll down the screen.

I found in the old version, yellowfin provide the option to lock rows.

https://www.yellowfinbi.com/YFCommunityNews-Yellowfin-BI-Development-Update-Dashboard-Header-and-Column-Locking-127675

But I could not find the setup in the 7.2 version of yellowfin.

Could do you please adivse us that is this functionality still available and how to do the setup?

It would be appreciated if you reply to our question ASAP.

Regards,

Nancy

Replies (16)

photo

Hi Nancy,

yes the Header Lock functionality is still available in 7.2 and the setup is in a different place in 7.2 when compared to that older version of Yellowfin you saw in that article. You will have to go to Report Formatting -> Data -> Header Lock as shown in the attached screenshot "HeaderLock.png".

I hope you can find it now, if not please send a screenshot of what you are seeing in the Report Formatting screen.

regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I tried to enable Header Lock and Column Lock for our reports, but it seems that the function does not work. Is this function limited to broswer? Currently, we use Firefox as our main browser.

Regards,

Nancy

photo
photo

Hi Nancy,

I've just tested the header and column locks in my 7.2 20161024 YF in a Firefox browser and it worked. I've attached a video that starts off showing the locks turned off, then I turn them on and they work.

I've just thought of something, the header and column locks only work in reports that are in a dashboard tab or storyboard. They don't work for standalone reports, is that what you are trying them in?

regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

I am sorry that I could not open the video. Could do you please give me the screen shots?

Thanks,

Nancy

photo
photo

Hi Nancy,

it will be easier for me to just convert the video to a format that you can open. Please let me know what you prefer, .avi, .mov, .mpg etc.

regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

I refer to use .avi format.

I would be appreciated if you could send a copy to my email as well: nyangyangcai@auto-it.com.au.

Thanks,

Nancy

photo
photo

Hi Nancy,

OK, I've just converted video to AVI format and emailed it to you, unfortunately they are larger files than MP4 but hopefully the 14 MB file is not too large for your mail server's policy. Please let me know if you don't get it, it most probably means that your mail server blocked it.

regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

I am sorry that my company block the avi format. And probably you could try my personal email: gnancy417@gmail.com.

Regards,

Nancy

photo
photo

Hi Nancy,

OK, I've just emailed the AVI video to your gmail account, that should work because I've just checked the Gmail attachment size limit and it is 25 MB and my video is only about 14.

regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

I received the video and thanks for your patience.

I will have a look and let you konw if I still have this issue.

Regards,

Nancy

photo

Hi David,

Thanks again for your patience.

I tried to download the patch you mentioned (7.2 20161024), but I can only found 7.2 20161004 online: http://community.yellowfin.bi/knowledge-base/article/build-7-2-october-2016.

I used the 7.2 20161207 to do testing, but found the function does not work. My thinking is that is this function relates to web.xml file? Because we use update rather than installer when we do upgrade, and some files would not be updated.

If you do not mind, hope you could do a web session with me, because I think it would be a good way to save our time, I need report his issue next Monday.

Regards,

Nancy

photo
photo

Hi Nancy,

I just tried the header and column locks in the same build as you (i.e. the latest 7.2 build) and it worked for me!

I understand your theory about the web.xml file but unfortunately for this feature there are no settings required in that file - it should just work.

I don't mind a web session with you! Anytime after 2pm today is fine, please let me know what time you prefer and I'll send you an invitation...

regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

Let's make it at 3pm.

Thanks,

Nancy

photo

Hi David,

Thanks for your help today.

The original patch we used is : 20141128.

If you want to get the patches, I could send to you. Currently the upgrade process for us is:

20141128 full installer (6.3) - 20151209 update (7.1) - 20160727 update (7.2)

Regards,

Nancy

photo
photo

OK Nancy, I've just sent you an invitation...

"see" you at the meeting!

David

photo

Hi Nancy,

thanks for your time for the screenshare this afternoon, and now I have found out which tables and columns we should check:

if Header & Column lock are turned OFF then there are 2 extra rows in the ReportFormat table, however, if they are turned ON then there are no extra rows in that table (because it's the default setting)

so could you please run the following query against your YF DB:

SELECT FormatCode

FROM reportformat

WHERE (formatTypeCode = 'DASHFIXEDCOL' or formatTypeCode = 'DASHFIXEDHEADER')

AND reportID = <insert your report ID here>

if it returns 2 rows:

FALSE

FALSE

that means it's turned OFF.

If it returns nothing, then that means it's turned ON.

While you're doing that, I'll install a 6.3 and then upgrade it to the latest 7.1 and see if the same issue exists...

regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

I use the following code to do testing:

select distinct formatcode from reportformat WHERE (formatTypeCode = 'DASHFIXEDCOL' or formatTypeCode = 'DASHFIXEDHEADER') and reportid = '211315'.

The result return null, so it seems that the header lock or column lock have turn on.

Regards,

Nancy

photo

Hi David,

Thanks for your help today.

The original patch we used is : 20141128.

If you want to get the patches, I could send to you. Currently the upgrade process for us is:

20141128 full installer (6.3) - 20151209 update (7.1) - 20160727 update (7.2)

Regards,

Nancy

photo
photo

Hi Nancy,

thanks for running that code. Yes indeed, as long as that reportID is correct then that means your report has the header & column locks turned on.

I've got bad news, I followed exactly your upgrade path and in the end I still couldn't replicate the issue!

That means I think we're stuck for the moment, I'll have to ask around on Monday morning to see if anybody else has some ideas about this strange issue.

Have a good weekend!

David

photo

Hi David,

Thanks for your update.

Probably you need to use the exactly patches we used for testing. If you want to get the patches, I could send to you through email. Currently the upgrade process for us is:

20141128 full installer - 20151209 update (7.1) - 20160727 update (7.2) .

Hope I can hear happy news on Next Monday.

Regards,

Nancy

photo
photo

Hi Nancy,

I see what you mean - I started off with the wrong 6.3 build. So I deleted that and started all over again, I've attached the full installer log and the 2 patch logs, they are all the same builds as yours. Please be aware that sometimes the publish date can be different from the build date, I found this in the 7.2 July update, please look at the below screenshot of our builds folder, there is no 20160727 so I used the official published build which is 20160728:

d35dcc7b43011a753339eb722f852126

and after I went through this upgrade path I still couldn't reproduce the issue. So it must be caused by something else.

On Monday lets turn on DEBUG logging and see what happens when we load the tab and scroll down.

regards,

David

photo

Hi Nancy,

is there any chance you can open a connection to that test system you showed me on Friday so that our developers can connect and have a look?

regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

Thanks for your patience and testing.

Tomorrow morning about 10pm would be better for us to discuss and I also can show developers another problem about 500 internal server issue.

Regards,

nancy

photo
photo

Hi Nancy,

I will have to ask the dev team leader to allocate a developer to do this live debugging, and then I'll have to get the developer's approval if that 10pm time is OK for them.... Is that for security reasons that you can only open the connection at 10pm?

regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

I think arrange a developer to come over our office maybe is a good way to save time. I am not sure the web live debugging will help us a lot. I could open the connection all the time, it depends on your time.

Regards,

Nancy

photo
photo

Hi Nancy,

I'm sorry but we won't be able to get a developer to visit you, so we'll have to go with the remote connection. However, before we organise that meeting, I was wondering whether I myself could have a final look at your test environment again, the reason being that I just want to make 100% certain it's not something silly that I missed! I could send you a GoToMeeting invitation, you wouldn't even have to waste your time attending - you could just leave me to it. It's just a final check, won't take very long. What do you say?

regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

That's ok. You could just send me the meeting invitation today. Is 3:30 pm is ok for you?

Regards,

Nancy

photo
photo

thanks Nancy, I've just sent you the invitation. "See" you at 3:30...

regards,

David

photo

Hi Nancy,

thank you for your time again for today's screenshare session in which we went through the Auto-IT upgrade process and we found that after we had upgraded to 7.2 July build the issue did not exist. However, there is one more step which we agreed you will try tomorrow....and that step is to run the huge Auto-IT content SQL script that fills up the YF DB with all of the content.

I look forward to hearing the results of the final step you are doing tomorrow....

regards,

David

photo

Hi David,

Thanks for your help yesterday.

I am happy to tell you that I found the issue and it is related to the configuration table in our YF DB:

When I ran the following sql, the problem is fixed. The issue is because our team always import the same YF file on the backend and configure table always be the same, and I did not realize we have turn off customerdashboardscrollbars.

update yellowfin.configuration set configdata = 'ON'

where configcode = 'CUSTOMDASHBOARDSCROLLBARS'

I would be appreciated that if your team could update the wiki to

create a config code reference, then it would save our time to figure

out the similar problem.

Thanks again for your patience.

Regards,

Nancy

photo
photo

Hi Nancy,

well done! That's great news! I hope it doesn't cause other troubles though, because I'm thinking there must have been a reason why Auto-IT turned it off in the first place. I guess time will tell...

Thanks for sharing that information with us, although our wiki is not really the right place for it so what I've done is to put it in our Community Knowledge Base.

Thanks again Nancy!

Regards,

David

Leave a Comment

Attach a file