Using Reference Code colours in a Bar Chart

Martin North shared this problem 6 years ago
Resolved

I am trying to use Reference Code colours in a Bar Chart, but I can't work out how.

I have a column in the report with the format set to Reference Code, and the correct Reference Type selected.

I am using this column as the Vertical Axis in a Horizontal Bar Chart. I would like each bar to use the colour defined in the reference codes. I think from the documentation, under Chart Settings, Style, for Color Set, I should be able to select Reference Code, but it only lists options Metric and Monochrome.

What am I doing wrong?

Replies (4)

photo

Hi Martin,

You should be able to do this by:

Set this reference code column in the "color" section of the chart.

Click the gear Icon on the field you just pulled in

Select reference code as color options

c21b25f2c6157501664e0076de840a28

Let me know if this works for you.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Nathan,

When I try to add my field to the colour area, I receive the message: "Data for this area must be a numeric type", so it would appear that the only solution might be to create a numeric value in my view that corresponds with the text value, and use this to generate the colours.

Does this sound like a valid solution?

Thanks,

Martin

photo

Hi Martin,

I am not quite sure the logic (probably has something to do with how aggregation works in the underlying code) but to use non-numeric fields here, you will need to put the report in cross-tab format.

Is this appropriate to your data?

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Martin,

I am going to set this ticket to closed for now, but if there is anything else I can do to help here, please just let me know and the case will be re-opened!

Regards,

Nathan

Leave a Comment

Attach a file