Pie Chart % - To display, or not to Display the value

Bill Perrello shared this question 6 years ago
Answered

I have a collection of data that our end user would like us to display using a Pie Chart. The numbers are percentages; not counts or sums. The Cardinality of the data is exactly 4 rows, with the value (Percentage) being [0-100] and the total adding up to 100 obviously. Our developer has created the report, and it seems that YellowFin 7.2 automatically puts a (%) on the mouseover of the report, effectively duplicating the data. See attached. What is/or is there a recommended way to negate the display of one or the other so that the data displayed in the hover over popup is not duplicated?

Replies (6)

photo

Hello Bill,

Thanks for reaching out with your question. Unfortunately, in 7.2 there's no way to alter this behavior. Our pie chart is designed to calculate and display the percentage of a whole per category, hence the (%) you see after your number. The duplication comes due to the fact that your underlying data is already figured as a percentage.

The only option you have to mitigate this, would be to expose the raw data instead of a percentage and let the pie chart do the calculation.

In another note, in 7.3 and up we do have a Tooltip option, that allows you to disable tooltips. This would allow the use of a label instead of a tooltip, which is more configurable. Upgrading to the newest 7.3 or higher would allow you to use this option.

Is an upgrade something that could be considered in order to come to this resolution?

Thanks,

Ryan

photo

Hello Ryan. the upgrade to a 7.3 like version (likely 7.3+) is in our future and sounds like our best bet to work around the limitation. It does not allow us to meet our requirements for this current sprint, and will force us to contour our requirements to the capability of of using a label rather than our standard of using the tooltip. Would you mind if I asked you to put in a new functionality request to make configurable the display of the (%) which is now currently auto-generated and not configurable on the tooltip of a popup.

photo

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the update. I don't mind at all! I feel this would be a good addition to the tooltip functionality. I've submitted your suggestion as an Idea here in the Community. These are created as candidates for Enhancement Requests. Before becoming a request, ideas will be reviewed by our Product Team and chosen for Enhancements based on feasibility, level of positive impact to the user experience, and votes from the community. I've gone ahead and created the Idea under your name, you can monitor the status of its progression here.

I'll go ahead and mark this as Completed so that further tracking can be done via the Idea post, unless you have any further questions on this particular issue.

Thanks,

Ryan

photo

Hello Bill,

I'm going to mark this as Answered, as I haven't heard back for some time. In the meantime, please monitor your Idea post I linked above for further information regarding the request.

Thank you,

Ryan

photo

Ryan - please re-open this request. In 7.3, the ability to configure the labels works for many of the charts; however that configuration is not adhered to within the boundary of the tooltip as it should.

photo

Hello Bill,

This request wasn't closed, but rather converted to an Idea for Enhancement. Please review the post here. I see there's been some action on it and I'd like to assure you that this Idea HAS been logged as an Enhancement Request, as noted in the Idea post. I've marked this as Answered since the functionality doesn't presently exist and further tracking fo the Enhancement Request will be done through the Idea post.

Does this make sense?

Thanks,

Ryan

Leave a Comment

Attach a file