Configurable Tooltips For Pie Charts

Bill Perrello shared this idea 6 years ago
Completed

Can we have a way to configure Pie Chart Tooltips? Pie Charts always display a calculated percentage:

1299ed99202820c0506bfcc4e5e393ed

When the underlying data is already in percentage format, we have a duplicated label on the tooltip.

A way to disable this automatic percentage labeling would allow us to present this in a more professional manner.

Replies (6)

photo

Hi Bill,

What you're after is actually possible in Yellowfin 7.3+, I'm using the August 2017 release and can confirm you have the ability to disable percentages.

See screenshots below:

4fd2f6dd18821f6dfe0defd7b9347b7d

90bbdf4623bfec86e82f0c5313fde7c6

Are you planning on upgrading Yellowfin in the near future?

Thanks,

David

photo

David - We are in the process of evaluating 7.3+ right now. Interesting that none of your colleagues let us know there was possibly an option to see this fixed in 7.3+. I did have the opportunity to test out this possible funcitonality for a ring chart (not yet our pie chart) based on data from a stored procedure. V 7.3+ changed the tooltip to include "Category:" and "Metric" in the tool tip, and it was reported as a 7.3+ defect reported back to me. The ringchart base don a stored procedure does not adhere to the checkboxes you mentioned in 7.3+ even though I can set them. I'm theorizing a defect in the 7.3+ product?

photo

Hi David

I went ahead and tested what you suggested. As it does offer an alternative solution to our problem it does not resolve our core issue of the tooltip display on hover over. Our current style guide for our customer-facing reports stipulates that we utilize hover over and not labels. I still consider this issue un-resolved based off of your suggested solution. For posterity, I've added a screenshot of the suggested solution with a hover over:b69b15f39795212514a3920b4b30b8cf

photo

Hi Nick/Bill,

Sorry I missed the important piece of info 'tooltip'. I've gone ahead and flagged an official enhancement as I can see how this is problematic, and is still the case in the upcoming 7.4 release.

As for the ability to turn off label options with Stored Proc charts, I've tested with both Pie & Ring charts in the 7.3+ Sept release.

See attached screenshots, and please let me know if I'm missing something.

So at this point you are unable to configure the tooltip to remove the %, which has been logged, though I'm unable to provide any sort of ETA or confirmation it will be changed at this point in time.

As for the labels/tooltips on stored proc reportscharts, I cannot seem to replicate it, are you able to provide a little more info on this.

Please let me know how you would best like to proceed for this.

Regards,

David

photo

7.3+ shows options to configure Publish > Labels > Display > (Category, Value, Percentage) for Ring and Pie Charts (and probably others). Unfortunately, these label display options are only respected for the labels displayed directly on the chart, not for the labels found in the Tooltips. I would like the YellowFin team to enhance the Tooltip builder options for all charts to also respect and use same configurations. We would really like to see this be considered strongly to pull into 7.4.

photo

With apologies; I see I have duplicated my thoughts also on https://community.yellowfinbi.com/topic/pie-chart-to-display-or-not-to-display-the-value

photo

Thanks Bill, yup correct. The labels do differ from tooltips, and there is little to no customisation for a lot of chart tooltips. So yes this enhancement still stands, and is part of a larger 'customisable tooltips' which I know is something still being discussed. We did make some tooltip improvements in 7.4, though it's still not at the point where it's completely customisable. Unfortunately, at this point in time I do not have anything further to add on this enhancement. Sorry for the bad news

photo
photo

Just an update on this enhancement, the plan is to have it reviewed early 2018 with some other tool tip formatting options to be included in 7.4

Will this be a feasible upgrade path?

Thanks,

David

photo

Hi Bill,

Have some good news on this, and sorry I've delayed this!

We actually included an option in the 7.4 Jan release with the ability to turn off the automatic % .

8262a4926cace819bffd4f6b50b0e999

E.g

Charts below shows on vs off

78c9790aaeea577da9f5bb84aaf94ff3

Hope this gives you what you were after, and please let me know if it does not.

Regards,

David

Leave a Comment

Attach a file