Brushing a chart and data table

Hannah Luo shared this idea 6 years ago
Idea Logged

Hi,

When brushing a chart i thought the data table changes accordingly to reflect the brushing, but i see now that the data table always show all the data regardless of the brushing.

Is there a way to tie the brushing to the data table (in the same report)?

thanks,

Yoav

Replies (12)

photo

Hi Yoav,

I hope all is well,

To my knowledge the Brushing only applies to the chart itself and not the data/table linked to this, therefor resulting in this not changing when brushing; Keep & Exclude. As our wiki states:

79d57c8c36170cad283de8409e1fdfd4

With this I will double check with our team as this could potentially be a case of raising this as an "Idea"

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Yoav,

I hope all is well,

I have since discussed this with my support team and they have confirmed that this is indeed unique to charts only, although this could be a very good suggestion for an "Idea" - with this I have gone ahead and converted this to an "Idea" I hope this is ok. I will await your feedback.

NOTE: This only applies to Report Level, we do have the option of linking at the dashboard level with multiple reports, we can see this by visiting this url: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koFm2Rv0rnw

Regards,

Mark

photo

No Problem. U can convert it to an Idea.

Thanks,

Yoav

photo

Hi Yoav,

All done. Thank you for understanding.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Yoav,

Thanks for your suggestion on this.

Unfortunately at this point in time, there are no plans to support brushing on tables. Tables are built entirely different from charts, so there are possibly other ways around this, such as filters/drill-throughs, but no brushing.

Sorry for the bad news, if anything changes we will update you.

Regards,

Daivd

photo

Hi David,

I think you misunderstood the request.

I'm not asking to brush the table. I'm asking that the report table view will reflect the chart brushing (of the same report).

Currently, when i brush a chart and switch to the table view, i see all the data and not just the brushing data.

Thanks,

Yoav

photo

adding to last comments,

I still don't understand why this is an enhancement request and not a bug.

If i'm brushing a chart, why wouldn't i want to see the brushed data? what's the point of brushing if i can only see it graphically and not the data behind it.

Thanks,

Yoav

photo

Hi Yoav,

Essentially it was designed in a way for it only to be visible on charts, as it was done with an end consumer in mind, who won't necessarily have the understanding of the data behind the scenes.

Because it was designed this way, it's working as expected, where as a defect would stand if we were expecting it to work differently.

Keeping in mind, the table data is what is used to create the chart, and brushing on the chart simply filters the results further. So the underlying data should still be correct, it's just viewed differently on the chart. Hope this makes sense.

Apologies again for any confusion caused. If there are any changes on this functionality in the future, I'll be sure to post here.

Regards,

David

photo

Hi team,

I have the same question. I feel it looks little bit weird if chart filtered by keep/exclude but table listing below has no changes. In my case, our chart shows very high level data, table shows details.

Chart - answer options and # of responses to each options

Table - answer options, # of responses, and users who made that answer options

for some answer options, there will be over 100 people responded. If I keep that bar on the chart, chart will be changed. But i have to scroll down to find the data in table.

Also, my workaround was to create user list report under chart and table list report to show user information separately. But my chart and table report is a pop-up report, pop-up report will not show co-display report.

Thanks,

Vicky

photo

UPDATE

I have since added this to JIRA as an Enhancement due to demand. We can track this with the JIRA ID of YFN-10912. Please feel free to chase this up anytime.,

Regards,

Mark

photo

Anything new on this feature? Maybe with code mode?

Regards Uwe

photo

Hi Uwe,

Unfortunately no further advances with this as of yet, however I have made notes with this enhancement to try and move this further.

Going forward with this would you like me to make this a priority for you? I can speak to the wider team if it's a top priority.

Regards,

Mark

Leave a Comment

Attach a file