Ability to export multi-charts to HTML so they can be included as embedded images in email

Daniel Boekhoff shared this idea 6 years ago
Idea Logged

Currently when a canvas is exported and embedded in an e-mail different images are created for elements on the multicanvas and arranged in the email. This works for some mail clients, but Outlook Mail will change the look which in the worst case causes misunderstanding on the user side.

My suggesting would be to generate one single image from the multicanvas and place this in the email, this will give the same look and feel in every email client. 

Many Thanks & Kind Regards,

Daniel

Replies (5)

photo

Currently when a canvas is exported and embedded in an e-mail different images are created for elements on the multicanvas and arranged in the email. This works for some mail clients, but Outlook Mail will change the look which in the worst case causes misunderstanding on the user side.

My suggesting would be to generate one single image from the multicanvas and place this in the email, this will give the same look and feel in every email client. 

Many Thanks & Kind Regards,

Daniel

photo

Hi Daniel,

Unfortunately this is an inherent limitation of HTML, and not something that Yellowfin can really account for. (several clients have asked for this in the past)

One idea in this regard is to broadcast your report with the report attached as a PDF, which does a far better job of retaining the formatting throughout browsers.

Does this work for your use case?

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Dear Nathan,

thanks for your fast response. This is not exactly what I meant. I know that for many parts in an HTML E-Mail you won’t get the same results on different email clients.

What I want is to screenshot the multi-canvas part of a report fully as an image and embed this into the email. Currently Yellowfin creates more than one image from a multi-canvas and embeds that in the email. If the multi canvas would be one single image, there would be no problems in an email.

I had a talk with Brett and Peter on that one, maybe they could help clarify what I mean?

Kind Regards,

Daniel

On 30. Aug 2017, at 19:06, Nathan Schroeder <support@yellowfin.bi> wrote:

photo

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the clarification. I will convert this into an idea as well.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Daniel,

Thanks again for the feedback. Again I have some good & bad news.

The bad news is that there are no immediate plans to fully support exporting mult-charts to HTML.

However, knowing that we are rebuilding the dashboards in 8.0, and reviewing the export to file options, this is something that can be looked at in detail during that planning stage. I know 8.0 is quite a while away so won't have any updates until closer to mid-2018, though I would rather provide a realistic update than something along the lines of "thanks for your idea, we will take it on board".

Sorry this is not necessarily the answer you were after.

Your're only option at this point is to use the PDF exports to email multi-chart reports.

Regards,

David

Leave a Comment

Attach a file