Small Error in Community Article

Steve Remington shared this problem 6 years ago
Resolved

This Yelllowfin Community Article:

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/how-many-databases-does-yellowfin-support-does-it-support-big-data-why-are-some-options-greyed-out_2

Lists "Google BigQuery" as one of the data source that Yellowfin supports out-of-the-box (i.e. no driver file need to be loaded to make the connection work). This is not correct. To get the Google BigQuery database type to be enabled (i.e. I cannot categorically say the BigQuery driver "works" yet because despite having enabled the driver I cannot get it to to work - This problem is being addressed under Ticket 5003-09-15)

It would be good if the article updated to reflect the correct status of the BigQuery driver.

Replies (8)

photo

Hi Steve,

Thanks for pointing this out. Since this worked in the past (and still works on some old versions), and will soon work again in the future, I think that it will be better to leave this on the list.

We do fully intend on supporting BigQuery, but if it is determined BigQuery is an impossible connection, we will remove it from the list.

But point taken :)

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Steve,

Just an FYI, we received a video proves that it is still possible to use BigQuery in the most recent build. Once we have had a chance to confirm this, I will pass along any relevant information.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Steve,

Can you try changing the extension of the entire driver zip file to .yfp and uploading it via the plugin manager? We are making an article on this now.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Nathan,

My immediate problem is not trying to install / enable the BigQuery driver. Mahe hepled me with that in Ticket #4974-09-14.

My immediate problem is that despite having (with Mahe's assistance) installed / enabled the BigQuery driver I still cannot get it to connect despite having what appear to be the complete and correct set of credentials.

The BigQuery driver require credentials some obscure format and it is not easy to work out if the details are entered correctly even if you have the correct details.

I have added the details of the ongoing BigQuery problem to ticket #4974-09-14.

Regards,

Steve

photo

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the clarification. Since Mahe has spent a bit of time on that case already, it will probably be best if I leave it in his hands. He is in the Australian office, so will not be online until ~2pm EST.

If this is urgent, let me know, and one of us in the US office can take over.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Nathan,

There is some urgency to this. The server is due to be used for the DataDriven Hackathon that Yellowfin and Minerra (My company are jointly sponsoring) with starts at 9:00am Singapore time (almost exactly 9 hours from now).

It would be greatly appreciate if you can start looking into this now.

Mahe's work did come to a logical break. He had installed / enabled the Google BigQuery dirvers, but now I cannot for the life of me get the driver to connect to the source despite appearing to have the correct credentials.

If solving the BigQuery problem become to perplexing then an equally important alternative is to address Ticket #5003-09-15 about a Null Pointer Exception I am getting when trying to log in to a Snowflake DW server.

These two cases are either / or things. The data for the hackers will be made available on both BigQuery and Snowflake. If we get at least one working then the hackers have the ability to use Yellowfin as part of their solution.

You will note in both tickets you have full access to the server and Yellowfin on that server. Within reason :-) do what you need to do to allow Yellowfin to connect to at least one (or preferably both) databases.

I appreciate your assistance on this one. It will be big help for promoting Yellowfin in Singapore.

Regards,

Steve

photo

Hi Steve,

One of our consultants has been working a lot with clients on BigQuery connections in the past few days, and is willing to take a look at this with you. He should be reaching out shortly.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Steve,

As you and Tom were able to work this out, I am going to close this ticket.

Regards,

Nathan

Leave a Comment

Attach a file