access to yellowfin configuration database on ec2 instance from AWS Marketplace

c.a. shared this question 13 months ago
Answered

I'm currently in demo/trail and I'm working with a Yellowfin instance on ec2 via the AWS marketplace per these instructions.

I'm able to ssh into the instance and, although I see some clues in the `WEB-INF/web.xml`, attempts at accessing the configuration database there via psql or otherwise have failed.

Is there a documented path to getting access to this database in this situation?

Replies (6)

photo

Hi Chris,

Thanks for reaching out to yellowfin.

I don't think we have any documentation on access a db.

If YF is up and running, then

Firstly, I would verify the db we have installed with yellowfin by appending /info.jsp at the end of the URL. For example, I use http:localhost:8080 to run YF, so:

e7dd5672a158ff2b38e826bd7a4f5154

(We can also look at the web.xml JDBC settings to verify this)

Then, I would install a 3rd party tool like DbVisualizer, load the driver and use the connection string from web.xml to connect to it:

c6779a21e074e8ce38b61256010c6315

If we have postgres running, and if psql failed to connect then we may have to check if there are other permissions required from AWS side which is topping the access. And also can you please confirm if you are able to start the server and login via browser?

Thanks,

Deepak

photo

Hi Chris,

Here are a couple of related articles (but not the exact article for AWS - I believe this should be same as any other db, but should consider the AWS access settings to reach it via 3rd party tools):

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/connecting-to-the-yellowfin-db-on-azure

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/how-to-query-yfs-embedded-hsql-database

Thanks,

Deepak

photo

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I think what I'm really asking is: Does yellowfin set a default password for the postgres user ("yellowfin-dba") that it installs from the AWS ec2 marketplace?

Yes, app works in the browser, etc.

photo

Hi Chris,

Generally, YF comes with hssql as default db when we install on any environment (the default password for this is null), please refer to the connection below:

db918ad3e047b9989bb3f4a344fa5909

But if we change the db (may be like postgres, mssql etc during installation), it would prompt for the db server/credentials details in the environment and uses those credentials to create the configdb.

I currently do not have access to AWS instance to test the default db that comes with AWS EC2 image of YF(Will try to get one soon). We may try password as null or yellowfin123. Alternatively if we have access to the Postgres db itself directly(via PgAdmin etc), then we can try create a new Postgres admin(who has rights similar to yellowfin-dba) and then replace the details of this new user in web.xml file.

feca2799d0852ad5a60d37be8e2af596

Please let me know if that helps.

Regards,

Deepak

photo

Hi Chris.,

Hope you're having a good week.

Just wanted to check-in and see how it's all going. Was there anything you were needing from me to help get this resolved?

Kind regards,

Deepak Chaganti

photo

Hi Chris,

I hope things are going well with you.

Just wanted to let you know I'll be closing this request due to inactivity. However, if you ever wanted to re-visit this or have anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Deepak

Leave a Comment

Attach a file