Filter reports by view field in Browse section

Brendan Codrington shared this idea 4 years ago
Idea Logged

An idea - the ability to filter reports by View > Folder > Field in the By Data Source Options. This would be a quick way to find reports using a certain field in any capacity (field, filter, calculated field, join). Currently needing to delete a field from reports and finding all using them via the audit views has been a challenge - even with limited use of the view. Being able to access them this way would enable users to go direct to reports using a field and update as required.

Thanks,

Brendan

Replies (8)

photo

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for reaching out with your Idea. I do think this is a really neat idea. As such, I've gone ahead and logged an enhancement request for this.

Any potential updates regarding this will be posted here.

Regards,

Mike

photo

Hi, any progress on this idea by any chance? Thanks.

photo

Hi Brendan,

I hope all is well,

Unfortunately no movement on this, however there is a way to see reports used by a specific field, albeit this would require certain admin privileges. Providing the user has access to edit the view they can navigate to the Prepare stage then select your field and select Profile (Data Profile);

a0f34673ab025d3c32283cc041802df8

2e74697565b0b9972a85abf7a1d606a2

This then shows all reports crated that use the First Name field.

As mentioned above, this would require a user to have specific privileges, so not great for those who don't have this. The alternative would then be with the Enhancement request that you submitted.

What next?

We can question this further with the wider team if this is something that needs pushing. Please let me know.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Brendan,

I hope you had a great weekend. With this I just want to touch base to see if you and chance to read through my previous response. If you can get back to me that would be great.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hey Mark, thanks for the suggestion above. Yes this would be limited to just us as admin (our analytics clients don't have view access) and on a quick test on a field it didn't return the report I have used it in. Most likely as the profiling was limited to 1000 rows. Unfortunately I've had limited success in using profiling with our data (client db data or yellowfinmetadata as per this scenario) as it tends to send the server into a spin with our large datasets. Handy to know this option is here though as a secondary approach to using our reports across YF metadata.

Regards,

Brendan

photo

Hi Brendan,

Thank you for getting back to me with regards to an alternative solution. I will further investigaste this "limitation" when it comes to large datasets.

What next?

As mentioned in other tickets from yourself by Chris McCarthy, we can further escalate these Enhancements in the form of reaching out to your Account Manager. Let me know your thoughts so we can put this in place.

Regards,

Mark

photo

Hi Mark, thanks for this and Chris for following up on those tickets - I don't know who our account manager is now as there were a few recently and now only go through license renewal email outside of support... so unfortunately I don't know who to direct you to. Happy for you to nominate someone :)

Thanks,

Brendan

photo

Hi Brendan,

Thank you for getting back to me. I have made the wider team aware of this. I can also see that you have been involved with a number of different Tickets here within the YF Community. I have made them aware of this and I am hoping some contact from them will be put in place. If you have any other concerns, please let me know.

Regards,

Mark

Leave a Comment

Attach a file