Unable to login with Window Authentication for 9.8.1.1

Bhaskar Jebamani shared this question 12 months ago
Completed

Hi,

I have installed YF 9.8.1.1 version (new installation no upgrades). Unable to login with Window Authentication for 9.8.1.1.

Please find the logs attached.

Replies (28)

photo

This is a blocker issue, take this on priority

photo

Hello Bhasker,

Thanks for reaching out to Yellowfin support.

In order to proceed further, would you kindly provide the information below:
1. Could you please let me know which database you are currently trying to connect?
2. Could you please share a screenshot of the error you are getting in the UI? If possible, would you be able to share a screen recording to help us better understand the issue?

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,

1. We are using SQL Server 2018 database.

2. There is no error in the UI, the admin console is just blank, there is not username password textboxes showing up.

I tried clicking on upload license, it also failed to load.

Regards,

Bhaskar Jebamani

photo

Hello Bhaskar,

Thanks for your response.

To help us understand the issue better, could you please provide us with a screen recording of the issue you are currently facing?

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hello Bhaskar,

Greetings for the Day.

This is a follow up reminder that 4 days have passed without any activity in this ticket. When there's no activity, it usually means either that you have identified the solution for the reported issue or that the matter is no longer relevant and after 6 days (2 days from now) without any activity, we assume that the ticket can be closed.

If this is not the case, please do reply and let us know how we can be of further assistance, we would be happy to assist.

Regards
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hello Sharwari,

I shall have a recording as requested by Wednesday 22nd Mar 2023, as I am held up with other blocker issues from Yellowfin report, which have stopped clients from going live.

Regards,

Bhaskar Jebamani

photo

Hello Bhaskar,

Thanks for your response and sure, I will be waiting for the recording.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,

Meanwhile, I tried as per the YF link, but still the same error

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/unable-to-install-on-sql-server-with-windows-authentication

executed the command

java -jar yellowfin-9.8.1.1-20221220-full.jar option.db.microsoftjdbc=false

f3e3f1081fddd81c88a1b10a9b776a55

06485c97a5dd6db2f6dadc090797667a

Note: Same error when I try from our SAFE integrated version also.

If possible, shall we connect tomorrow 21st Mar, Tuesday 12pm IST. Please, let me know you time. This would help us in recording the session also.

Regards,

Bhaskar Jebamani

photo

Hi Sharwani,

can you share the FTP link to upload the video.

photo

Hello Bhaskar,

To upload the video, please use below FTP link:
https://ftp.yellowfin.bi/login?next=/files/User-Uploads

Regards
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,

Did you find why YellowFin installer is not getting installed with Windows Authentication ? Requesting for the update.

java -jar yellowfin-9.8.1.1-20221220-full.jar

Regards,

Bhaskar Jebamani

photo

Hi Sharwari,

Requesting video is uploaded in the FTP. Its a blocker for us from releasing 9.8.1, need solution ASAP

c7bb29813a3e7c0963df6d960654e663

photo

Hello Bhaskar Jebamani,

Sorry for delayed response,

Thank you for providing all necessary information. Unfortunately, when I tried in my local environment, I saw the same dialogue box. In order to move this case along as quickly as possible, we are having discussions with the Wider team. Give us some time, please; I'll get back to you as soon as I have more information.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,

Any update on the Window authentication issue. We are blocked from releasing Yf9.8 version.

Regards,

Bhaskar Jebamani

photo

Hello Bhaskar,

Sorry for delayed response.

This is to keep you informed that I have created a Jira task with the wider team. I will provide you with an update once I hear back from them. I have also shared Jira id with this ticket.
Thanks!

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Do you have any work around ? If yes, let me know the steps or process.

photo

Hello Bhaskar,

Apologies for the inconvenience,

We are currently awaiting further updates from wider team regarding this matter. We appreciate your patience, and we will get back to you as soon as we hear anything from them.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns in the meantime.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,

We had planned to Releasing YF 9.8.1.1 on 5th April 2023. As our customers are awaiting for this YF version but due to this Win Authentication blocker we are stuck and unable to plan the release date.

Hence, we need this bug to be taken as CRITICAL and need solution asap.

Regards

Bhaskar Jebamani

photo

Hello Bhaskar,

We understand the criticality of the issue and the impact it may have on your planned release. I am actively following up with wider team regarding this issue and will provide you with an update as soon as we receive more information.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hello Bhaskar,

I hope all is well,

We have received below update from wider team regarding your issue.

Test 1:
My first attempt at installing with windows authentication has worked successfully.

55092f4987b3d29fa945bda9cc0f1c04

This was done by just running the installer directly, and not providing any command line parameters.

I have this tested with 9.8.1.1 and 9.8.1.3 and it has installed correctly.

The installation above ultimately connected with this jdbc connection string:
a88a50ccc8226cf9e787b4d4cdec1b08
(This is using Microsoft SQL Server JDBC Driver: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver

Test 2:
I have also installed with the JTDS driver (using the option.db.microsoftjdbc=false). This has worked too.

753b1b45f1abcc411736aae28e7fe17e

The installation above ultimately connected with this jdbc connection string: 57a4481745c526b72b84c24503b0cb8d
(This is using the JTDS driver: net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver )

From all of my (successful) testing I assume that the issues that the client is seeing are environmental and related to the configuration of SQL Server.

However, I do not have a domain controller here that I can test with regards to the login (I am only using a local windows account).
I suggest the client investigate the error that is showing.. "the login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with windows authentication", to see whether changing configuration on the SQL Server side can address this.

Ultimately the installer is generating a valid JDBC connection string to connect to the database. If the client can show that this is incorrect, then we can look at modifying the installer to generate this differently. I suggest that the client use a JDBC Database tool like DBeaver or SquirrelSQL to test whether changing the connection string allows it to connect correctly.

Test 3 & 4:
There are also two undocumented options that can be sent to the installer.
option.db.connectionstring (connection string to connect to the database after the database has been created)
option.db.adminconnectionstring (connection string to connect to the database to create the new database)

These can be used to manually set the JDBC connection string for the installer.
7af57d664ac98396041f216709c99ad0You can see that I have added hello=hello; parameters to each of these connection strings. After install, the custom connection string is visible in the web.xml
ec321fafecf63369c5d9f1feede55a40I am mentioning these parameters because it may allow you to work-around the issue, if its related to the connection string being generated by Yellowfin.

Please check and let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Thank you Sharwari, I will try out and keep you posted.

photo

Hello Bhaskar,

I hope you're doing well.

I was just wondering if you had a chance to try out the solutions suggested earlier. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns about them.
Thank you!

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hello Bhaskar,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to follow up with you if you could please let us know how the overall process went based on the steps provided in my last email.
1. Were you able to get through the overall process to connect via Windows Auth?
2. Did you notice any challenges to Yellowfin?

Please let us know if you found any problems; if you can provide me with relevant findings, I can share them with the wider team for further assistance.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,

We were able to install YF report with Win Auth on our VM which have system admin privilege and organization’s AD. But locally the installation failed even after giving full privilege. As of now, installing YF with Win Auth is not a blocker, but need to find root cause on why it fails on local development environment and solution for the same.

Regards,

Bhaskar Jebamani

photo

Hello Bhaskar,

I hope you are doing well.

We have forwarded this to the Wider team, I will post the updates for your viewing here as soon as we receive a response from the wider team.

Please revert back if you have any queries further happy to assist.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hello Bhaskar,

We did discuss this issue internally with our wider team to see what the other possible use cases were for it not working in your environment; unfortunately, we couldn't test deep dive because it worked fine in the first go from our side, and we were not able to replicate this issue. But one strong point here is that this issue could be because of many environment variables that are blocking the installation of the Yellowfin instance. I hope the end to end replication procedure which was shared earlier might be of help in connecting with different methods.

If you have any additional questions or concerns that I should investigate, I would be happy to assist. Kindly let us know.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

photo

Hi Sharwari,

Thank you for pushing extra mile to find out the possible of Win Auth failing on local environment. As of now, I don't require any additional information.

Please, close this ticket.

Regards,

Bhaskar Jebamani

photo

Hello Bhaskar,

Thank you for letting us know regarding the ticket closure. It was a pleasure to work with you and do let us know If you have any concerns or questions, we would be happy to assist you further.

Have an great rest of your day.

Regards,
Sharwari Inkane

Leave a Comment

Attach a file