Reports - transfer 'created/modified by' to another user

Scudfest shared this question 12 months ago
Completed

We have a situation where we need to delete some users but keep the reports those users created and modified.

For example, User_A and User_B are to be deleted.
They have created/modified multiple reports we want to keep and manage.
How can all the reports be 'attached' to User_C?

In the past users have been deleted and the report becomes 'orphaned' and difficult to manage. I would like to avoid this situation occurring again.

Thanks

Replies (6)

photo

Hi There,

Thanks for reaching out to support with your question.

On user delete action administrators have the ability to migrate content to another user, I would use this process in this case. See our wiki for more info -

https://wiki.yellowfinbi.com/display/yfcurrent/Users

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need anything additionally here.

Thanks,
Eric

photo

Thanks Eric.

At the very bottom of the page it says to transfer private content.

Does the same apply to content that the user has published as public?

Just want make sure I don't have one of those 'oh crap' moments.

photo

Hello again,

Here's results of some testing I did in regards to this -

1. made public content creator user -

984eb713b2ead7b540adadb0b744a037

2. Created public report -

40be3c76cd1b79291fb87a4b717500e6

3. Deleted user -

907ca3fdd036431e8a056b9c05ab601c

"public report did not show in results list. However it was accessible working after deleting and migrating private content - also made 2nd user, did NOT migrate content on delete, and public content remained as well.

da6cb4475631b1b0da1a3e92b9c6eaf3

So it looks like public content created by users will remain after deleting them,

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need anything additionally here.

Thanks,
Eric

photo

Thanks Eric.

My main concern is the reports, if orphaned, are problematic. Can't be deleted and so on.

I tried this and it seems to work fine.

Looks a bit weird with no user in the last modified column but that is the least of my concerns.

Please close this and thanks again.

photo

Hello once more,

Sorry to keep bugging you haha but I think I can see what you mean, I think some related values in the configuration DB may still refer to the deleted user -

848ca30fd0ae6b11c94ad7604c4a1ccc

I see no reason why this shouldn't show as the user, they're still available to lookup...

59bfb89f13ad0666f99d896a2720afe1

That said, I can still edit and the content as OOTB system administrator role - not sure what the difference is there, maybe it's the deletion method or other security / config setting I'm missing in my testing. If you have additional replication instructions let me know.

10566c454b0662b37074ade3178d1c46

My approach with any "uneditable" or "orphaned" content would be to try to find a way to adjust the content ownership, via web services or manually updating the content references, DEBUG logs might show the actual query failing, feel welcome to send those for analysis.

You could also have success as a workaround by "undeleting" the user temporarily and logging in as them to make changes. Make sure you have good backups prior to this as running these types of queries can cause irrevocable damage and is out-of-scope technically.

https://community.yellowfinbi.com/knowledge-base/article/how-do-i-undelete-a-user-that-has-been-deleted?access_key=16511-ce7d6cc1

Maybe it's not too "big a deal" for your organization but I'd definitely call this unexpected and could submit to devs if you were interested in a fix / updates. There's probably a couple of workaround options with these values as well. Just let me know if you could please.

Thanks,
Eric

photo

Hi Scudfest,

I'm going to go ahead and mark this ticket as Completed due to inactivity at this time. Feel welcome to reach out in the future.

Thanks,

Eric

Leave a Comment

Attach a file