calculated filter - save not possible "This type cannot be displayed/represented".

Stefan Hall shared this problem 13 months ago
Defect Fixed

Hi,

I want to add a calculated filter to a view, a very simple example, BUT
I always get the error message "This type cannot be displayed". Why? The message is OK for calculated fields, but for filters?

The same selection as filter group works.

;) Stefan (version 9.8.0.1 & 9.8.1.1)

calculated Filter - can't be saved

5adfc1466984c959ad3635b5d6ec39c4

filter group is OK

d2930d6b98214b835eba6879411ae33a

Replies (5)

photo

Hello Stefan,

Thank you for reaching out to Yellowfin Support

I've replicated the issue, but I'm not experiencing this kind of error.

Would you mind sharing the screen recording of the steps you are doing so that we can replicate the same way and let you know the results.
Additionally, I have provided links to views and calculated filters for your reference, which I beleive useful to you.
https://wiki.yellowfinbi.com/display/yfcurrent/Creating+a+View
https://wiki.yellowfinbi.com/display/yfcurrent/Calculated+Filters

Regards,
Yamini Naidu

photo

Hi Yamini,

the links don't help me, I just can't create calculated filters, filter groups work.
What I mean you can see in the attached video YF FTP > calculated filter.mp4

It also doesn't matter what I select, I can't save a calculated filter.
Please try it also in "German", it would not be the first problem related to the language.
We have set the following setting in the Configuration on DB levels:
OVERRIDE_LANGUAGE = de

;) Stefan

photo

Hello Stefan,

Thank you for sharing the video. Allow me some time to look into this. I will try to replicate this in my environment. I'll get back to you with my research soon.

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Hello Stefan,

This is to let you know that we have replicated the situation in yellowfin version 9.8.1.1 and did not face any such issue. The calculated filter is functioning as expected. For your reference, I have attached a video demonstrating the same.
I suggest you to reinstall the version with recent build, give it another go, and let me know if it still doesn't work for you.

Regards,
Yamini Naidu

photo

Hi Yamini,

OK, but what do we do now? I have 2 versions freshly installed 9.8.0.1 and 9.8.1.1 and in both I can't create a calculated filter with any field (Character, Number, Date or Date/time). The error message is always "the value cannot be represented". The classic message for calculated fields.

Something is wrong and of course I would like to use this function.

;) Stefan

photo

Hi Stefan,

I apologize for my delayed response.

Could you please reinstall the same or a higher version, then replicate the problem, and let me know whether it resolves it for you or not? If the issue reappears after reinstalling, we can also arrange a call at your convenience to investigate it further. Please let me know.

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Hi Yamini,

no, unfortunately this is not possible. I have just installed two versions freshly. What is that supposed to do? In the ChangeLogs of the newer versions there is no information about this problem.

;) Stefan

photo

Hi Stefan,

Hope you are doing well

May I know your availability for a call. To see what's actually occurring, I'd like to arrange a remote session. I'm available from 6:00 IST to 15:00 IST, Monday through Friday. Let me know your convenient time.

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Hi Yamini,

we can do with pleasure. however, I must invite you and it works only over Skype and I must invite you. Please let me know your email address so I can invite you.

;) Stefan

photo

Hi Stefan,

I'm sorry, but we generally don't use Skype for work its against company's policy. I'm accessible through Teams. We can also connect using Google Meet or Zoom. Let me know which one is convenient for you.

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Hi Yamini,

I understand your rule, but we have to follow government requirements and Skype is the only way.

But it doesn't matter, because I have already had several Skype meetings with you. Send me your email address and I will invite you.

;) Stefan

photo

Hello Stefan,

Hope you are doing well

The meeting invitation can be shared here. I'll follow that link. Please let me know the day and time of the call in advance. I'm available from 6:00 IST to 15:00 IST, Monday through Friday.

My email Id: yamini.naidu@Yellowfin.bi

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Hello Stefan,

Hope you are doing well.

I just want to touch base to see if you had chance to read through my response. If you can let me know that would be great. Thank you!

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Hello Stefan,

I just want to touch base to see if all is well, if you can let me know that would be great. I look forward to your reply.

Note: I'm available Monday through Friday from 21:00 to 6:00 IST for the month of March if you require any assistance via a remote session.

Thank you!

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Hello Stefan,

Hope you are doing well.

As there is no revert back from you and because of age and inactivity I am going to go ahead and mark this ticket as closed for now. If you wish to re-open and discuss further I will be more than happy to do so.

Thanks!

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Hi Yamini,

let's talk about the calculated filters and hopefully find a solution. With our time zone difference it is not easy to find a common date.
I have invited you now on Friday 03.03.2023 at 09:00 CET

;) Stefan

photo

Hi Yaminii,

yet even I have not received any support, you may leave the case open.

et's talk about the calculated filters and hopefully find a solution. With our time zone difference it is not easy to find a common date.
I have invited you now on Friday 03.03.2023 at 09:00 CET

;) Stefan

photo

Hello Stefan,

Thank you for the meeting invite. I acknowledged it. On Friday at the prescribed time, I'll be available.

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Hello Stefan,

I sincerely appreciate your time on the phone. I need to know whether you are using the ski team as your data source or anything else?

Could you also give the complete logs so that we can look at this issue further.

You can upload any videos or files using the ftp link below.

https://ftp.yellowfin.bi/login?next=/files/User-Uploads

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Hi Yamini,

Thanks again for your time, the file I created and uploaded yf_filter.zip.

I have done the following UseCases

• created a new view
  • created calculated field with automatic detection => error message
  • created calculated field with type default "text" => works perfectly
  • created calculated filter => same error message as for calculated field with autom. type detection

I think here is missing a function in the filters and the value also can not be checked or recognized, it is ever a filter.

Have a nice weekend
;) Stefan

photo

Hello Stefan,

Hope you are doing well

I continue to follow up with the wider team about your concern. Please allow me a little more time. As soon as I find out something or get some clue, I'll let you know.

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Hello Stefan,

Hope you are doing well

I'm writing to let you know that despite numerous attempts to duplicate the problem in our environment, we have yet to detect any problems. Every time, it runs properly for us. We are unable to duplicate the issue here which you are facing.

I'd like to check in with you to see whether you're still having trouble with this or if it's working well for you now? Please do let me know..

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Hi Yamini,
unfortunately the problem doesn't solve itself and yes, I still can't use this important feature. Very annoying.
it is clear that it works for you with the demo data. But what exactly is technically verified? Why is anything verified at all? and how exactly is the verification done?

We use BMC Remedy as a data source and when YF assembles an unnecessary and strange SQL, then you see the error message.

Either the possibility to specify the type is missing here or YF please do not try to determine the type itself.
With a calculated field it also works.

Please clarify the difference in the very similar function, not whether it works for you.

Thanks in advance

;) Stefan

photo

Hello Stefan,

I apologies for the inconvenience and sincerely appreciate your patience.

We are actively working with the wider team to fast track this issue and to ensure its moving in the right directions towards a solution or a work-around. While the team is involved and have requested if you can replicate one more time and provide the latest logs here (https://ftp.yellowfin.bi/login?next=/files/User-Uploads) for further investigation that would be of great help.

Note: I also want you to see if it works by making a copy of the view and then trying to make a calculated filter again.

eg: We have ski team so make a copy of the ski team and create a calculated filter using that.

a5407f5779f2a8959c7b52b0cc6ebadc

Thanks!

Regards,
Yamini Naidu

photo

Hello Stefan,

Hope you are doing well.

I just want to touch base to see if you had chance to read through my response. If you can let me know that would be great.

Thank you!

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Hello Stefan,

Hope you are doing well

I just wanted to check in to see if you had a chance to see my response. It would be great if you could let me know. Its been 6 days and seems to be no response from your side. When there's no activity, it usually means either that you have identified the solution for the reported issue or that the matter is no longer relevant and after 5 days (2 days from now) without any activity, we assume that the ticket can be closed. If this is not the case, please do reply and let us know how we can be of further assistance, we would be happy to assist.

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

photo

Dear Stefan,

Greetings for the Day.

This email is to notify you that we believe that you have identified the solution for the reported issue or that this ticket can be resolved for now. Because of age and inactivity I am going to go ahead and mark this ticket as Completed. However, if you ever wanted to revisit this or have anything else I can help you with, please let us know, we will be more than happy to do so.

Regards,
Yamini Naidu

photo
photo

Hi Yamini,

unfortunately, such problems do not solve themselves, I'm just on vacation.

It would be helpful if you could clear this technically internally.

What exactly is being tested here and why?

Why can't I set the type myself, as I can do with other fields?

All these questions have not been answered yet.

;) Stefan

photo

Yamini?

photo

Hello Stefan,

I hope you are doing well

I am sorry for my late response I was out of office and couldn't revert back on time. With regards to your concern, this is to inform you that the development team has provided an update about this case, and the good news is that a fix will be included in the upcoming Yellowfin 9.10 version, which is planned to be released by the end of October 2023.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns, I would be happy to help.

Regards,
Yamini Naidu

photo

Hello Stefan,

Greetings for the Day!

We have a good news from the Product team regarding this case. We would like to inform you that, this issue has been addressed and fixed in our 9.10 version which was released on 11th November 2023. You can find release notes and downloads here - https://portal.yellowfinbi.com/public/releases/home

For now, we will go ahead and mark this ticket as "Defect Fixed" for the time being. If you require any assistance, feel free to reach out to us.

Thank you!

Regards,

Yamini Naidu

Leave a Comment

Attach a file