Client Organization with User Roles

Karthik Kannan shared this problem 6 years ago
Resolved

Hi Yellowfin Team,

We are planning to do client organization setting with the following roles, please guide us to achieve this.

Role: Report Viewer (Privileged)

Each Client has a many users with this role and able to View / Export and Print the reports / dashboards

Role: Report Viewer (Normal)

Each Client has a many users with this role

1. Only able to View the reports /dashboards.

2. Not possible to Export and Print the reports /dashboards.

Role: Client Admin

Each Client has a Client Admin and This role has the following privileges and restrictions,

1. Able to create / update / delete only users with the Report Viewer (Privileged) and Report Viewer (Normal) Roles.

2. Able to assign permissions to users of the Report Viewer (Privileged) and Report Viewer (Normal) Roles to view the Dashboards or reports.

3. Shouldn't able to change the own role or System Administrator's role.

We have some more questions also:

1. If the user logins for the first time all the dashboards assigned to that user will be automatically added to the user. Is it possible ?

2. Is it possible to show only Report Viewer (Privileged) and Report Viewer (Normal) Roles when Client Admin creating new users ?

Replies (7)

photo

Hi Karthik,

What you are describing seems possible within the currently available role permissions, however it would be difficult for me to describe exactly what role permissions will be required for this. Report Viewer (Normal) is essentially the same as our default "Report Consumer" role. The "privileged" will simply need the export permission:

4b2364da627c58cf297292ec1c3b323f

Regarding your questions:

1. This can be tricky, but should be possible through web-services by assigning users to to a user group (user groups can be assigned default dashboards).
  2. Yes! This article does a good job describing the steps involved: https://www.yellowfinbi.com/blog/2012/09/yfcommunitynews-how-to-create-sub-administrators-using-restrict-visible-roles-functionality-119062

Hopefully I have answered your questions a bit, but let me know your thoughts here.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Nathan,

I followed the steps to achieve the Restricting Visible roles mentioned in https://www.yellowfinbi.com/blog/2012/09/yfcommunitynews-how-to-create-sub-administrators-using-restrict-visible-roles-functionality-119062

but for me the restricting the Roles not appearing in Yellowfin 3 / 3+ also.

Here with Attached the screenshot from my yellowfin environment.

Steps followed:

1. Enabled the Client Organization settings.

2. Copied the Administrator role and renamed it to Client Admin

3. Navigate to Administration > Role Management. Select the "Restrict Visible Roles" function, and deselect the "Roles Managment" function, in the User Administration section.

4. Navigate to Administration > Configuration. Under the Authentication tab, the options you mentioned in the webpage to restrict the visible roles are not available.

Please consider this as a high priority issue and fix this asap.

If you need any Remote Sharing session, Please let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Karthik K

photo

Hi Karthik,

I am not able to find this either, but am surprised that this would be removed. Let me dig around for a bit and see if it has just been moved.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Karthik,I am not sure why I did not find this earlier:

67054b1a45cf7300a37dd3780a5d37fc

Let me know if this works for you.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Nathan,

Thank You very much. It works for me.

If any options available to export the settings / configuration from one yellowfin to another (development to deployment environment). I need to export users / roles / groups / all font's / color's settings, etc... done in the development environment.

How to achieve this in yellowfin.

Thanks in Advance,

Karthik K.

photo

Hi Karthik,

Glad to hear it.

Unfortunately this will be difficult. Depending on how different the reports contained within your deployment and department are, it might be worth it to simply clone the underlying database of your dev environment, install a new version of YF ontop of this clone, export any reports that are not in dev from prod, and wipe the prod environment.

Otherwise, there is no method for importing/exporting admin settings, and you will need to re-create your changes manually.

Let me know if you want me to elaborate on the first option here.

Regards,

Nathan

photo

Hi Karthik,

I am going to set this ticket to closed for now, but if there is anything else I can do to help here, please just let me know and the case will be re-opened!

Regards,

Nathan

Leave a Comment

Attach a file